Building a new PC for home with the following config:
  • CPU: i5-12600
  • RAM: 4x16GB 3200
  • M/B: Asus Tuf B660M-e
  • Case: BeQuiet B500DX with 2 additional 140mm fans
  • Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock Slim
  • GPU: RX6500XT
  • Storage: 1TB NVMe + 2 x HDDs

I have a spare 550w 80+ gold PSU whic I was planning to use. Would this be sufficient or should I get a 650/750w supply?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Oct 7, 2022
Based on pC
Might I ask how old is the unit? If it's brand new, you're good to go. If it's been used and then left to the side, what did it power before it was left out as a spare unit?

Hi Lutfij, it is a brand new kit.

When I put this configuration into PC PartPicker, it shows I need 524w. This might not leave a lot of headroom, specially if I want to enable XMP.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/22CgKp

Oct 7, 2022
Yes, with 2 GPUs.

And where do you need all the extra fans for? 500DX comes with 3 decent and silent fans.

Hope you don't want to use the RX 6500 XT for encoding because it can't encode.

Phew!! No wonder.

Apologies, my fat fingers. I have been tossing between cheap’ish graphic cards. Just found MSI RX6500XT on sale for AUD 195. Down to 417w. I am guessing 550w might just do it with XMP enabled. (?)

You are correct. Graphic card would not help with rendering. My understanding is that CPU would offload some of the tasks like raw file processing & some filters to a GPU if one is present. To be honest, I am still not sure whether I should get one or not. But then I saw these low/mid range cards for an attractive price! :)

You are correct. Graphic card would not help with rendering. My understanding is that CPU would offload some of the tasks like raw file processing & some filters to a GPU if one is present. To be honest, I am still not sure whether I should get one or not. But then I saw these low/mid range cards for an attractive price!
Better use the iGPU of the 12600. It comes for free!

Reactions: Oscar74

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Along with certain other things, SIZE MATTERS (when it comes to PSU's anyways).... hehehe :)

Go big or go home (and play with nuthin while you watch your rig melt into a smoldering pile of goo after frying all the parts therein).....

Seriously, I always look at those psu calculators, and then go up 1 (or 2) size from there, just to allow for the occasional spikes, as well as future upgrades without having to buy yet anutha psu....

If its a brand new unit (PSU) it should be more than enough for the PC you listed. And yes the iGPU that comes with your Core i5 12600 (with quicksync) may be better at enconding than the RX 6500XT.

Just make sure is not the intel core i5 with the "F" at the end, those come with the iGPU disable.

Oct 7, 2022
If its a brand new unit (PSU) it should be more than enough for the PC you listed. And yes the iGPU that comes with your Core i5 12600 (with quicksync) may be better at enconding than the RX 6500XT.

Just make sure is not the intel core i5 with the "F" at the end, those come with the iGPU disable.
Thanks!