[SOLVED] Psu recommendations

Jun 2, 2020
I recently bought a Gtx 1660s and my psu is not powerful enough to run it. I Have an HP Pavilion 590 p0056. I upgraded the ram to 16 gb and the psu is 310w. I need at least A 450w.
The problem is that the psu is proprietary. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
The psu And The motherboard

Solution
The 1660S will run on a 300w PSu. It only draws about 120w. Add in 70w cpu & 50w motherbd/system and you'll max out under 240w total. You aren't in an ideal situation but it is do-able since that PSU is Gold rated.
Don't overclock though.

Burke_a_lot

Prominent
May 25, 2020
Seasonic still make these style PSU up to 600W I think. (Seasonic SS-460H2U 460W 80+ APFC 2U Modular Power Supply) would be the closest however the cabling might be hard to get.

I would strongly recommend getting an aftermarket case and standard size PSU.

popatim

Titan
The 1660S will run on a 300w PSu. It only draws about 120w. Add in 70w cpu & 50w motherbd/system and you'll max out under 240w total. You aren't in an ideal situation but it is do-able since that PSU is Gold rated.
Don't overclock though.

Solution
Jun 2, 2020
I tried to run the 1660 on the current hardware and the pc wouldn’t power on when the power cable (6pin connector in 8 pin slot. That’s all I had to work with) was inserted. I unplugged the optical drive and still no Start.

I looked at the Seasonic psu linked. It might work, but the board is also proprietary. It has no 20/24 pin connector. Instead 2 4 pin connectors, one near the bottom one near the top. Then there’s the p4 cable (the label printed on it, the flat one in the picture of the psu, I am a novice, so I don’t know it’s nomenclature. ) that plugs in next to the psu at the bottom. 7 pin but 4 are wired.

My new idea is just put the psu outside the case and splice the wires. I need to check the voltage when I get home, but, is that feasible?

Burke_a_lot

Prominent
May 25, 2020
I tried to run the 1660 on the current hardware and the pc wouldn’t power on when the power cable (6pin connector in 8 pin slot. That’s all I had to work with) was inserted. I unplugged the optical drive and still no Start.

I looked at the Seasonic psu linked. It might work, but the board is also proprietary. It has no 20/24 pin connector. Instead 2 4 pin connectors, one near the bottom one near the top. Then there’s the p4 cable (the label printed on it, the flat one in the picture of the psu, I am a novice, so I don’t know it’s nomenclature. ) that plugs in next to the psu at the bottom. 7 pin but 4 are wired.

My new idea is just put the psu outside the case and splice the wires. I need to check the voltage when I get home, but, is that feasible?

Everything is possible. But the cost of a new case and standard PSU will be cheaper, better, and quicker.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Get a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter that card don't need a 8 pin to power it.