[SOLVED] PSU reliability

antonio2911

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
Greetings everyone!
With RTX 3080 on its way to my home I decided to do some more extensive shopping and just build a whole new pc from scratch since my components are 7 year old. My question is if I can keep the P1-750X-XXB9, 750W XFX XXX Edition, 80+ Bronze, Semi Modular, so I could save up some money. What is bothering me is I have read all sorts of information and some people suggest it's ok, others that it's not which got me confused. My current build is here (note that atm I use GTX 770 because said GPU broke down a month ago), I have never overclocked it and other than GPU all has worked well so far.
Thank you in advance!

Solution
A 750W is the recommendation for the RTX 3080. If it's a good, high-quality PSU then it might be okay. The new AMD CPUs are actually pretty energy efficient.
The '7 years old part' is worrying me a bit but there's really no way to tell other than trying it out. I used an old BFG PSU for 10 years and only replaced it when I got a GPU that drew enough juice to cause coil whine in the PSU. The real question is whether you want to chance your new $$$ hardware to a 7 year old PSU. PSUs can sometimes fail spectacularly, taking other components with them.

If it were me, I'd pick up a new, top-quality 850W+ PSU.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
From what I can tell, that particular PSU is actually manufactured by SeaSonic, a reputable brand. Now, if you plan to use a 3080 and have a fairly high-end CPU like a 5900X which I would assume you do if you're buying a 3080, 750W may not be enough. It probably will be, but if you want to be safe I'd go for a new one that's not 7 years old and that has, say, 850 or 1000W capacity.

antonio2911

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
From what I can tell, that particular PSU is actually manufactured by SeaSonic, a reputable brand. Now, if you plan to use a 3080 and have a fairly high-end CPU like a 5900X which I would assume you do if you're buying a 3080, 750W may not be enough. It probably will be, but if you want to be safe I'd go for a new one that's not 7 years old and that has, say, 850 or 1000W capacity.
I am planning to go with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X & Gigabyte RTX 3080 GAMING OC, the purpose of the pc will be gaming only (other than netflix and such low impact stuff), I have just begun gathering components so I am asking this in advance in order to know if I need a new PSU and how to distribute my budget...

A 750W is the recommendation for the RTX 3080. If it's a good, high-quality PSU then it might be okay. The new AMD CPUs are actually pretty energy efficient.
The '7 years old part' is worrying me a bit but there's really no way to tell other than trying it out. I used an old BFG PSU for 10 years and only replaced it when I got a GPU that drew enough juice to cause coil whine in the PSU. The real question is whether you want to chance your new $$$ hardware to a 7 year old PSU. PSUs can sometimes fail spectacularly, taking other components with them.

Solution
That psu was introduced in 2011.
It is a good quality unit so it should have sufficient protective features in case it should fail. I would use it.

Do you have a 3080 card?
They are very hard to buy now.
You might not be able to buy one before next year.
It is a very strong card, the reviews I have seen make one appropriate if you anticipate gaming at 4k resolution.
Otherwise, not so much.

You now use a 1080P monitor so unless you are planning on a 4k gaming monitor, a lesser card might be in order.

antonio2911

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
I would use it.
Appreciate the input.
Do you have a 3080 card?
It is a very strong card, the reviews I have seen make one appropriate if you anticipate gaming at 4k resolution.
It will arrive at my doorstep between 25th-28th of November.
You now use a 1080P monitor so unless you are planning on a 4k gaming monitor, a lesser card might be in order.
I have already planned to buy a 144Hz 4K monitor, for that I will wait to see how the market acts during Black Friday deals.

antonio2911

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
The real question is whether you want to chance your new $$$ hardware to a 7 year old PSU. PSUs can sometimes fail spectacularly, taking other components with them.

That psu was introduced in 2011.
It is a good quality unit so it should have sufficient protective features in case it should fail. I would use it.

Conflicted opinions is what I had before I started this topic and now, although I am thankful for both your inputs, I got no further haha

antonio2911

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
I have completed the build, I would appreciate any input if you want to add it (I know it's not the main topic here). The PSU I chose is SeaSonic Focus GX 850 W.
The only concern I now have is the pcpartpicker's warning about motherboard needing BIOS update prior to using the CPU. I don't know how would I be able to do so since I don't have another AMD CPU sitting around to use it that one time to perform the update (or it is done in some other way?). On the other hand, as well as on Gigabyte's official product site it says it's Zen3 ready, as well as on an article I've found. If you can shed some light on this I'd be thankful as well.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looking at the CPU Support List for your motherboard, it shows that you need at least BIOS version F10 for your processor to be compatible with your motherboard. Fortunately, you do have a Q-Flash button that is capable of updating the BIOS without the need for a natively compatible CPU.

Ref: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite - Motherboard Manual Pg. 12

Q-Flash Plus Button (Note 3)Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the Q-Flash Plus port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.

-Wolf sends

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It's indeed made by Seasonic, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an old PSU based on even older design. I doubt it'll actually even work with RTX3080, you can try, if it works and you don't have a spare budget for a new PSU right now you can keep it but i'd buy a new PSU ASAP.

antonio2911

Honorable
Jul 19, 2014
It's indeed made by Seasonic, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an old PSU based on even older design. I doubt it'll actually even work with RTX3080, you can try, if it works and you don't have a spare budget for a new PSU right now you can keep it but i'd buy a new PSU ASAP.
I am ordering SeaSonic Focus GX 850 W as we speak! : )

Looking at the CPU Support List for your motherboard, it shows that you need at least BIOS version F10 for your processor to be compatible with your motherboard. Fortunately, you do have a Q-Flash button that is capable of updating the BIOS without the need for a natively compatible CPU.
Ref: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite - Motherboard Manual Pg. 12
-Wolf sends
I have adjusted my build a little bit, I think I will go for MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard after all. I suppose the installation is the same? Plug in all the parts and when the PC starts access BIOS as if I were to install windows and then simply select the option to update BIOS from the flash drive USB on which I have the update files?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I have adjusted my build a little bit, I think I will go for MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard after all. I suppose the installation is the same? Plug in all the parts and when the PC starts access BIOS as if I were to install windows and then simply select the option to update BIOS from the flash drive USB on which I have the update files?

I think that's how it works.

-Wolf sends