Question PSU replacement ?

Mar 28, 2024
I need help with replacing my current psu. It is Seasonic S12620ii , which is not suited for any build after Intel's Haswell according to many articles and posts I have read.
I am a bit disappointed since that, not only costed me ~80€ 4 years ago, but was recommended as one of the best psu on the market for that price.

Anyway, PC configuration is :
  • TUF B660M PLUS D4
  • i5 12400F, ARCTIC 34 eSPORTS DUO
  • 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws
  • GTX 1650 super (will be replaced in a while)
  • KC3000 1TB
What PSU can/should I buy for something like ~60/70€ ? I am from Serbia, here are websites where the most options are listed and available:
itsvet , and
eponuda

I plan some upgrade in future, I have 2k monitor, so some GPU capable of that, and some better CPU as well.. So I need some solid PSU that could support all this upgrades and is reliable - this is the most important, I don't wont S12 v2 again :) . I guess tier C is enough, but if something better can be bought for similar price I will go for it.
I found that for that price good chooses are MSI MAG BN series, Corsair CV, Cooler Master White MWE, series...
Sorry if English is not good.

Thanks

Mar 28, 2024
Thanks.
Will this this psu fit better? 1€ = 117din for reference.
Cooler Master MWE v2 is in tier B according to tier list, but I don't know if this is really that psu and does it really belong in tier B, because often wrong info and pictures are displayed. In list it is a MPE-ACAAW, here it is MPE-6501-ACABW-EU. I don't know if it is the same psu.
If it does really belong to tier B, than it could my choice, but warranty is only 3y so I doubt it is MWE v2, so maybe it is really fits in tier C.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums! Your English is OK, no worries.

Those you listed are all kind of mediocre units not so good but not the worst either. I wouldn't get any of them though.

EDIT: I meant these:
I found that for that price good chooses are MSI MAG BN series, Corsair CV, Cooler Master White MWE, series...

If you decide what CPU and GPU you want to get we can make better suggestions as we'd know how much your system is going to need.

I guess tier C is enough, but if something better can be bought for similar price I will go for it.
If you ask me no user should skimp on PSU and therefore don't get anything worse than Tier B.

I'm guessing (without knowing that CPU+GPU you will get) a good quality 750W would be enough. Again it's better if we know exactly what you're getting and what you will get later (GPU). SeaSonic Focus series and Corsair RMx and RMi are good units.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex_479xl

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, generally a lot of the PSUs in that list are sold in North America and other places that have common 110-120 volt outlets. That version is 220-240v only. Generally these are more efficient and they can save on components not needed for accommodating 100-240 volt ranges.

It still falls under the MWE v2 White branding. Minor revisions are hard to keep track of.

https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-napajanja-cene/seasonic-b12-bc-750-napajanje-cena-672018

https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-napajanja-cene/asus-tuf-gaming-750b-750w-napajanje-cena-9172799

And if you can really stretch the budget:

https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-napajanja-cene/msi-mpg-a750gf-napajanje-750w-cena-591460

Mar 28, 2024
Welcome to the forums! Your English is OK, no worries.

Those you listed are all kind of mediocre units not so good and not the worst either. I won't get any of them though.

EDIT: I meant these:

If you decide what CPU and GPU you want to get we can make better suggestions as we'd know how much your system is going to need.

If you ask me no user should skimp on PSU and therefore don't get anything worse than Tier B.

I'm guessing (without knowing that CPU+GPU you will get) a good quality 750W would be enough. Again it's better if we know exactly what you're getting and what you will get later (GPU). SeaSonic Focus series and Corsair RMx and RMi are good units.

Thanks.

Well, for GPU upgrade I was thinking about something like RX6700, RTX4070 is still very expensive here, and has those new ATX 3.0 connectors. Something that could run games in 2k 75Hz, not necessary high details or so. Even my old 1650 super can run something older, but VRAM is limited it badly I guess.

For CPU, some non-K i7 probably since I have B660 board, but that should wait longer.

I don't have budget for all that now, I lost my job recently.
PSU is crucial now, than GPU after some time, than CPU.
I just hope this Seasonic did not do some major damage to motherboard till now.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks.

Well, for GPU upgrade I was thinking about something like RX6700, RTX4070 is still very expensive here, and has those new ATX 3.0 connectors. Something that could run games in 2k 75Hz, not necessary high details or so. Even my old 1650 super can run something older, but VRAM is limited it badly I guess.

For CPU, some non-K i7 probably since I have B660 board, but that should wait longer.

I don't have budget for all that now, I lost my job recently.
PSU is crucial now, than GPU after some time, than CPU.
I just hope this Seasonic did not do some major damage to motherboard till now.
No problem. Yes with a 4070/6700 and an i7 I'd say a good quality 750W would last you with this upgrade and probably the next maybe. As better units have 10-year warranty so the manufacturer is quite certain it would last at least 10 years.

Hope all goes well and as I and others said above don't skimp on the PSU. It's worth it to wait and save a bit more and get something better.

I don't think the SeaSonic should have damaged anything. Why do you think that? Do you experience system crashes under load/gaming or sudden restarts? Or you're just generally wondering?

Mar 28, 2024
Satan-IR said:
I don't think the SeaSonic should have damaged anything. Why do you think that? Do you experience system crashes under load/gaming or sudden restarts? Or you're just generally wondering?
I did not experienced crashes recently, I played some older games, and mostly browsing web, but even earlier with some demanding games likes GTA 5, Far Cry 5...it worked fine, no crashes. I had some issues with XPM, then games crashed to desktop, but when I lowered freq from 3600 to 3400 works fine. I think that memory controller in this CPU is limited since it is non-K model.

I was little worried because PSU is listed in tier E-avoid on cultist website, I also read that group regulation can cause problems, damage the motherboard, GPU, if power is very high or even very low/idle. I read it on this forums, reddit, even Windows Copilot writes things against my PSU :D .

I had indeed problems earlier with older system and this PSU. It was Gigabyte B85M-D3H and i5 4th gen, it did cold boot often, it did not wont to shut down- it restarted when shut down was initiated.
I suspected PSU could be the cause, but with this new PC and Seasonic I did not have problems. Anyway, last couple of months that old PC does shuts down properly with old PC...
I bought some cheap PSU for it, some LC Power LC600H, and moved Seasonic into new build. Since it has only i5 4460, its igpu and one ssd, and also my parents use it only for browsing, I didn't want to spend some more for that old PC. With that LC Power PSU old PC does shut down properly now,
Maybe this was motherboard related, I don't know, very unusual behavior. To my parents it does not make a problem if only restarts :D .

So, if this Seasonic should not cause or weaken motherboard's VRMs (as my main concern was), GPU, CPU,... with this current setup, then I guess I should accept your suggestion, and save some money to buy even better unit than mentioned above later.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
You don't want C-tier CPU or GPU, so neither should you want a C-tier PSU.

It's difficult to accept the cost when you're on a tight budget, but a PSU should be one of the more expensive components. The thing is if you cheap out on a GPU, you can feel the difference right away. Likewise if you have a cheap monitor you can see the difference right away. With a cheap PSU, you won't know how bad it is until it does something bad. So cross your fingers and hope it lasts.

Here is a SeaSonic G12 GM 650 that is not ideal but is decent for a budget: https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...50w-80-gold-g12-gm-650-napajanje-cena-9210835

Miles better is the Fractal Design Ion Gold 750 https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...anje-80plus-gold-fd-p-ia2g-750-eu-cena-938500
The 550w model is much closer to your budget though: https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...anje-80plus-gold-fd-p-ia2g-550-eu-cena-938494
(There is also a 650w model. They are all the same inside and have the same 7y warranty)

Alternatively, if you can't afford the Ion, take the be quiet! Pure Power 11 600: https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...dular-fixed-cable-bn294-napajanje-cena-543258

PSU prices are moving up. With that Ion Gold 750w, you'll be covered for the next 7 years. It's not ATX 3.0 but that is ok, because ATX 3.1 will come in soon and all the ATX 3.0 stuff is outside your budget. You might land a decently cheap GPU that fits inside the 750w power budget in the future. Upgrading to a 13600/14600 would not change the power demand drastically.

You can't really have a decent GPU without a decent PSU, so up the budget to 90 euro. 70 is not going to get you a very reliable unit. Unfortunately even not-so-reliable PSUs are getting expensive, esp. in Europe.

The PSU tier list is a handy guide, but for more detail consult https://hwbusters.com/

Mar 28, 2024

It's difficult to accept the cost when you're on a tight budget, but a PSU should be one of the more expensive components. The thing is if you cheap out on a GPU, you can feel the difference right away. Likewise if you have a cheap monitor you can see the difference right away. With a cheap PSU, you won't know how bad it is until it does something bad. So cross your fingers and hope it lasts.

Here is a SeaSonic G12 GM 650 that is not ideal but is decent for a budget: https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...50w-80-gold-g12-gm-650-napajanje-cena-9210835

Miles better is the Fractal Design Ion Gold 750 https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...anje-80plus-gold-fd-p-ia2g-750-eu-cena-938500
The 550w model is much closer to your budget though: https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...anje-80plus-gold-fd-p-ia2g-550-eu-cena-938494
(There is also a 650w model. They are all the same inside and have the same 7y warranty)

Alternatively, if you can't afford the Ion, take the be quiet! Pure Power 11 600: https://www.eponuda.com/kompjuteri-...dular-fixed-cable-bn294-napajanje-cena-543258

PSU prices are moving up. With that Ion Gold 750w, you'll be covered for the next 7 years. It's not ATX 3.0 but that is ok, because ATX 3.1 will come in soon and all the ATX 3.0 stuff is outside your budget. You might land a decently cheap GPU that fits inside the 750w power budget in the future. Upgrading to a 13600/14600 would not change the power demand drastically.

You can't really have a decent GPU without a decent PSU, so up the budget to 90 euro. 70 is not going to get you a very reliable unit. Unfortunately even not-so-reliable PSUs are getting expensive, esp. in Europe.

The PSU tier list is a handy guide, but for more detail consult https://hwbusters.com/
Thanks for the reply, and thanks a lot for the hardware busters link. This is very helpful, since I know where to search first and where too look for a good psu.

Well, I guess that I have to buy some more expensive power supply than intended.
I read somewhere that Seasonic G12 uses some Chinese capacitors, and I think it is a speculative in tier list, so I will not consider it .
Fractal seems like a decent choice just like Be Quiet, Be Quiet is in B tier BTW.
What about Corsair ? I read also somewhere that new CX is rebranded CV series aka tier C with maybe some improvements, so new CX is also tier C.
Are Corsair RM, RMx, RMe are all ok ? I think I can find RM650 for about 100€ and bit lower. Is this good bang for the buck ? It is new, but the problem could be warranty...but doable.

Asus tuf gaming bronze ? I think Aris from Hwbusters wrote that has cheap capacitors, Lelon or something like that- Chinese, so I think I should pass that too. And the price is high at the moment. At once it was 7000rsd ~60€ for 550b version, now almost 50% more.

Can Antec Neo Eco Gold 600w be considered ? It is tier B but probably not, I guess :)

FSP has a lot of PSUs, but mostly to avoid or speculated as I can see, at least models available in my sh***y country .

just found some old Jonny Guru review of Seasonic S12 platform, and review was not that bad for a group regulated PSU. Probably modern builds are much less tolerant than Haswell/Skylake, which will mostly run fine. I run Cinebench and Aida stress test for a couple of minutes and did not noticed any significant voltage drop/raise. But I will definitely buy new psu shortly, just for the peace of mind.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
I've had a SeaSonic M12II-620Bronze for 12 years now. I wouldn't want it now, but it was certainly built to last.

The GM12 is not as durable, but your budget was low so what could i do. If you have to buy a bad PSU at least make it a less bad PSU.
I would trust Pure Power 11 or a SeaSonic unit. Though, it's not so much about the brand as the OEM that actually manufactures the units.

You don't have to be too paranoid about your choice. Something B or C tier, that hwbusters doesn't say should be avoided. If you can afford it, take it.

I don't think there's a PSU in existance that doesn't have something about it that could have been better.

Mar 28, 2024
You don't have to be too paranoid about your choice. Something B or C tier, that hwbusters doesn't say should be avoided. If you can afford it, take it.
Well, if I rise the budget to almost 100€, I won't take tier C in consideration.
I'll try to find some Corsair from RM series, it could have been found RM650e earlier for similar price. If not, I'll buy Fractal or Be Quiet.