[SOLVED] PSU Replacement for RM 650

Aug 10, 2020
I have a PC that I built 6 years ago, using a 4770k and a GTX 650 Card. My motherboard, Asrock Z87 got fried in a lightning surge and I had to replace it with a crappy Intel B85 (I guess), with no overclocking. Yesterday, my Corsair RM 650 gave up at midnight, and I have now replaced it with a loaner generic PSU from my office.

I am looking for a replacement at a budget of around $70, I live in India, so I have to consider the availability too.

Is it worth replacing, or should I look for a laptop instead? I built this PC what I was in my high school. Now, I am in college and I have my own laptop, and the usage on this PC will not be that intensive (mostly, only my parents use it these days).

Any advice is appreciated.

Solution
Thanks for the response. I was sitting here thinking I would get an email notification if I get responses to my question. So, I missed the offer.

Anyway, I was preferring a modular psu. What do you guys think about the CX550M or the CX650M?
Either of those are fine. The 650 would give you more options for later upgrades if you needed a bit more power.
I have a PC that I built 6 years ago, using a 4770k and a GTX 650 Card. My motherboard, Asrock Z87 got fried in a lightning surge and I had to replace it with a crappy Intel B85 (I guess), with no overclocking. Yesterday, my Corsair RM 650 gave up at midnight, and I have now replaced it with a loaner generic PSU from my office.

I am looking for a replacement at a budget of around $70, I live in India, so I have to consider the availability too.

Is it worth replacing, or should I look for a laptop instead? I built this PC what I was in my high school. Now, I am in college and I have my own laptop, and the usage on this PC will not be that intensive (mostly, only my parents use it these days).

Any advice is appreciated.
This is on sale as of right now for ₹ 4,999.00 = $67.00 USD. Sale price ends later today.

https://www.amazon.in/Corsair-Cp-90...dchild=1&keywords=cx550&qid=1597058295&sr=8-1

Reactions: kichappa
Aug 10, 2020
Thanks for the response. I was sitting here thinking I would get an email notification if I get responses to my question. So, I missed the offer.

Anyway, I was preferring a modular psu. What do you guys think about the CX550M or the CX650M?
Either of those are fine. The 650 would give you more options for later upgrades if you needed a bit more power.

Reactions: kichappa
Solution
Aug 10, 2020
Wait, how old is your RM650? Isn't it still under warranty?

EDIT: wait, nevermind. According to Corsair's site, the RM series produced before 2019 has a 5 year warranty, but produced 2019 and later, it's got a 10 year warranty.

I know right! I was also expecting a 10 year warranty, I dived deep in my archive searching for the bills. And in the end, I got to know that 8 would not get warranty anyway.

Latest posts