[SOLVED] PSU replacement

PC entusiast

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Good day,

I need assistance with PSU replacement,

i had a ISO psu ( part number: ISO-400) which reached end of life. Purchased a new psu (FSP500-60ACAHBC).Before I replaced the PSU I took pics for reference when I connect all the connectors. After verifying all the connectors are properly connected to the right slots, i tried to power on. but to no avail. I build back the old psu and the PC powered on again,

I spend quiet a few hours on the net trying to find a solution.

I really don't know that I'm missing. On the new PSU it stated 230VAC (properly AC for alternating current.) The PC is connected to a ups. Does that make a difference

Would appreciate any help.

PC entusiast

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Yes. It`s a prebuilt.
I have tested the new PSU at a PC case where only a motherboard is connected, The Motherboards green light was steady, so I presume the PSU is not faulty.

Our country has 230 V power.

I will try my luck again tomorrow and see what happens.

What is the make/model of the pre built pc?

You say that the psu has reached the end of life, yet when you installed it back, it worked.
Explain.

FWIW, the paper clip test mentioned above is good only to verify a dead psu. It says nothing about the proper operation of the psu.

PC entusiast

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Will a PSU fan turn on if I switched it on.? If i now completely disconnected it from the motherboard and connect to the power source, should the fan start spinning?

Will a PSU fan turn on if I switched it on.? If i now completely disconnected it from the motherboard and connect to the power source, should the fan start spinning?
Some pre builts like HP or Dell have proprietary power supplies and cases.
That is why I want to know the exact make/model of your unit.

No, disconnected from a motherboard the psu will not turn on.
There is a "paper clip" test that can only confirm a dead psu, but it says nothing about a proper working unit.

Even in a pc, a psu fan may only turn on when under load and it decides it needs better cooling.

PC entusiast

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Well I learned something today.

So it wasn't necessary to replace the PSU. The new PSU I will test with a paper clip, Will see how that works o n YouTube.

The model of the PC is HP dx1000 .

Thank you for your assistance.

If your old psu powers on and works, why do you think you need to replace it?

Forget about the "paper clip" test. It is essentially worthless.
It will not tell you if your psu is good.
Even $10 psu testers will do a better job, and still will not tell you about proper operation of the psu.
It takes a $5000 tester to do the job.

The only way to reasonably test is to install and run.

TRENDING THREADS