PSU requirements for multiple GPUs on one or two rigs

mattygeeftw

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
So basically, I now have a bunch of older GPUs and a few kind of new GPUs.
I plan to buy a couple of 650w 80+ bronze PSUs, the ones I saw in my price range were Antec, Thermaltake and Coolermaster and maybe corsair (abit more costly).
My current main rig has a 700w 80+ white cougar (gross) just because I needed more juice for a 280x and thats all I could afford at the time (AUS PC market is not that great). So my main rig now has a msi gaming 980ti which I hate that its plugged into the cougar. My main has a i5 4460 and that 980ti. My second rig is all done, but my 3rd rig (I will be buying second hand soon if I go there and test it and its all good), and Ill put one of the two new PSUs into my main rig and my 3rd rig.
The GPUs that will be coming and going into my third (will be my benchmarking rig and has a i5 3570 non K in it) are a gtx 670, a gtx 680, an amd 280x, a 7850, a r9 380 and a gtx 580. Just curious if the PSU can handle all that, one at a time. I checked on outervision and the reccomended PSU load is about 570W for the heaviest load at 24/7 usage (around 520W usage and 570 reccommended). Im just not sure if that's enough info.
Thanks in advanced

Solution
1| Mind listing full system's specs of all three system's?
2| You should look through this tier list to figure out what a quality unit should be.
3| You should look through this chart to understand the bare minimum for your system's. You should add more wattage to that number if you intend to keep the unit for longer periods.

Regarding if the PSU you have at the moment, which from your post is the Cougar 700W 80+ White, then you're going to have to let us know how old the unit is. Over time and heat, degradation of the PSU's internal components will mean that the previously stated wattage will be a thing of the past.

You should also know one more thing, from my point of view, you don't exactly have a budget...

Lutfij

Titan
1| Mind listing full system's specs of all three system's?
2| You should look through this tier list to figure out what a quality unit should be.
3| You should look through this chart to understand the bare minimum for your system's. You should add more wattage to that number if you intend to keep the unit for longer periods.

Regarding if the PSU you have at the moment, which from your post is the Cougar 700W 80+ White, then you're going to have to let us know how old the unit is. Over time and heat, degradation of the PSU's internal components will mean that the previously stated wattage will be a thing of the past.

You should also know one more thing, from my point of view, you don't exactly have a budget system since you own what looks like top tier parts yet you went with a PSU that is not even under a proper certification. 80+ White is not a seal of approval, it merely says
you didn't even come in last but here's a medal for trying.
kind of seal.

Solution

mattygeeftw

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

My main rig was actually a budget build from about 4 years ago. I slowly upgraded. Started with an fx6300 and 7850. Then just last year I got a 280x, but with that 280x I needed a bigger PSU, and I only had money for the (actually 750W) 80+ white cougar at the time (about 2.5 months ago, hence why I still have the cougar even with the 980ti - in response to having a crap PSU for a high end GPU). Then I stuffed up reseating my cpu so I got the 4460 plus the a mobo Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H so I didnt have to buy new ddr4 ram too. So it was kind of looking like a mid to low end gaming pc... Then I found the 980ti second hand (well kept) for quite cheap so I got that (about a month ago, and now I have a bit of spare money for a decent PSU). And so, because I have to get 2 PSUs, one for main and the new one, I might have to shoot for 2 80+ bronze. A bunch of my mates are saying that bronze is all thats really needed because its about the power efficiency and not necessarily the reliability of it. Also on adding more wattage, on outer vision the setting I put was 24/7 run times which increases it about 40-50W from the default 8 hours per day. Ill try find some 700-750W 80+ bronze or better but theyre about $150 AUD here down under (around 115 USD). I will read those links you mentions, so thank you very much for them :D

TRENDING THREADS