[SOLVED] PSU requirements for my build

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Hi there,

I have recently just purchased a 2080 super - I did a lot of debating between purchasing this and the 2070 super and decided to spend the extra cash to hopefully get some good 4k gaming experience (it's also a birthday present to myself).

This is my current rig.

Asus X99-A/USB3.1 motherboard
i7-5820k OC 4.2 @ 1.344V
16GB DDR4 RAM
256GB M2 SDD
4GB EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 PCIE
RMi750W GOLD certified

I found this website online and entered in my specs, set the timing as PC always on (although this is very unlikely but just wanted worse case scenario).

It came out with:

Load Wattage 577
Recommended USP rating 1200 VA
Recommended PSU wattage 627 W

This was the website I used:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I added everything in there that I could e.g., four fans (three 120mm and one 140mm fan), LED strips, DVD drive, 2TB Sata HDD, 24 inch monitor and gaming keyboard and mouse as well as everything I have listed above in my specs.

Is my 750w PSU sufficient, as I know the i7-5820k is power hungry as is the 2080 super. I think it's fine but just wanted to check. Probably should have checked before purchasing but assumed 750w would be enough and just want some clarity.

Solution
Your RMi 750W is more than capable. Any calculators vastly over-estimate, generally to account for the sheer volume of garbage PSUs out there than can do less than half of what they claim reliably OR to keep you in the efficiency 'sweet spot'. While being in that spot is nice, and theoretically would save you money on your electrical bill.... You're looking at years before you break even on electricity saved vs the cost of a new unit.

You have a 140W TDP CPU, even overclocked.... call it 250W for arguments sake. I'd have to check reviews to see what it's "peak" power draw could be... but I think 250W is more than sufficient to account for.

A 2080Super has a 250W TDP and, under torture workloads, barely exceeds that (~265W...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your RMi 750W is more than capable. Any calculators vastly over-estimate, generally to account for the sheer volume of garbage PSUs out there than can do less than half of what they claim reliably OR to keep you in the efficiency 'sweet spot'. While being in that spot is nice, and theoretically would save you money on your electrical bill.... You're looking at years before you break even on electricity saved vs the cost of a new unit.

You have a 140W TDP CPU, even overclocked.... call it 250W for arguments sake. I'd have to check reviews to see what it's "peak" power draw could be... but I think 250W is more than sufficient to account for.

A 2080Super has a 250W TDP and, under torture workloads, barely exceeds that (~265W, IIRC).

Even accounting for a little bit of overclocking on the GPU + all the negligible additional components, you're looking at an absolute "peak" load of ~600W, and a typical draw (gaming etc) more likely to be in the ~500W range.

A 750W RMi is a quality unit, and should have no problem whatsoever.

Solution