PSU Requirements?

pauldaft

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2005
If I've just bought:

EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra, nForce4 Ultra,ATX Socket-939,S-ATA,GbLAN,Firewire,PCI-Ex16

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz Socket 939, 1MB

Gainward GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

Do you think my 300W Nexus PSU is going to be enough?

Cheers...

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Nope.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

I'd go with something like this <A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270402" target="_new">Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P</A>. If you can't buy that one at ZZF, then get a good quality PSU and I'd say stay in the 500+ watt range.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Basically what Rugger said. If you find a high-quality 480-ish watt that'll be ok as well, but that rig needs a lot of power and the power supply is becoming the most important component for a stable system.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

I tend to like a little breathing room...Plus that PSU may be good for his next upgrade, too. I know you'll like that as forum cheaparse.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

PluggedN

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
As long as you go with 450w+ and it is a good name brand such as Antec, Enermax, OCZ you will be fine.....Look at the +12v power. Most good single rail power supplies will offer at least 30A

mais

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
Get a Enermax Noisetaker 600watt power supply with dual rail 12 volt 35A or some thing of similar caliber for a few dollars more - the computer will run rock solid and as a bonus you don't have to worry about upgrade for a long time !!!