PSU Restarts My PC When I Try To Enter The BIOS

NateGdm

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
I recently had this issue whilst my MB was inside the case. I have now placed it on a wooden plank on top of the case to make sure it is grounded properly. However, it does not seem to want to load the BIOS. The PSU simply "clicks" and restarts the PC every 15 seconds.
Have forgotten to connect some cables? Both the 12V 8 pin and the main 24 pin connectors are properly plugged in. Could my large Aftermarket CPU Cooler's screws be touching the MB (CM Hyper 212X) creating a short circuit (I now know it is my PSU's Voltage "control" shutting it down).

Solution
It's more likely that your MB is shutting down PSU, not the other way around. Double and triple check cooler mounting, specially back plate, that's only place you can get a short. If it's Intel, check for excessive cooler pressure on the processor. It can also bend even AMD based MB if cooler is mounted with improper spacers and is too tight.
Try with standard cooler if you still have it.
It's more likely that your MB is shutting down PSU, not the other way around. Double and triple check cooler mounting, specially back plate, that's only place you can get a short. If it's Intel, check for excessive cooler pressure on the processor. It can also bend even AMD based MB if cooler is mounted with improper spacers and is too tight.
Try with standard cooler if you still have it.

Solution

NateGdm

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016

Thanks a ton for the answer. I am nearly certain you are correct. I did indeed mount my cooler and screw it in with a lot of pressure. I will correct this immediately. :D

TRENDING THREADS