Question PSU running at 80pg

Nov 22, 2022
Hello,
I'm having issues with my pc not starting,
when I press the power button, most internal LEDS light up and the fans spin for a split second before shutting down again, I've had this issue for a few weeks and I've been unable to use it. before it stopped turning on it was just suddenly losing power while in use and then I had to repeatedly restart it.

I've checked over the RAM, GPU, Power Supply and my SSD's.

my specs are

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming

CPU: Intel i5 4790k

GPU: Geforce GTX 970

RAM: 1x Corsajr Vengeance 8gb. 2x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4gb

PSU: XFX pro650w (XPS-650W-SEW) / New CoolerMaster MWE Gold 650w v2

SSD: Samsung 870QVO 1TB, Samsung 850EVO 250GB

as of yesterday I have replaced my old PSU with a CoolerMaster MWE Gold 650w v2, double and triple checked I had put the wires in correctly, still no startup. using a power supply tester on this new one I get these stats.

-12V : 11.8
+12V : 12.0
5VSB : 5
Power Good (PG) : 80ms
+5V : 5.0
+12V1 : 12.0
+3.3V : 3.2

the only issue I can see is my PG being under 100, which causes the PSU Tester to flash and beep. I can't find any fixes for it online and I've heard the ideal pg is 100-500.

if anyone has any ideas or potential fixes please let me know and thank you in advance

Nov 22, 2022
Buy a 3 buck speaker for the motherboard to get the beep codes, my first thought is a memory problem since your mixing them.
Could try with just one stick of memory.

I did try the memory as one of the first things, last night I tried it again, all of the slots with all of the different sticks but thank you for the speaker idea and I'll try that as soon as I can

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I did try the memory as one of the first things, last night I tried it again, all of the slots with all of the different sticks but thank you for the speaker idea and I'll try that as soon as I can
Ya get the speaker it should give you the beep codes as to what the problem could be.

When you get into older hardware it becomes a crap shoot as it could be the motherboard itself.

EDIT you might reset CMOS, remove the video card, hook the monitor to the motherboard, install just one stick of memory, remove all drives, remove the power switch connector and jump the pins out to cut it on and try to boot into BIOS.

Nov 22, 2022
Ya get the speaker it should give you the beep codes as to what the problem could be.

When you get into older hardware it becomes a crap shoot as it could be the motherboard itself.

EDIT you might reset CMOS, remove the video card, hook the monitor to the motherboard, install just one stick of memory, remove all drives, remove the power switch connector and jump the pins out to cut it on and try to boot into BIOS.

Nov 22, 2022
I had reset the cmos and removed the battery last night, and I've just now tried jumping it but I'm still getting a sudden flick of power and then it shuts off again,

I'll try ordering a speaker for tomorrow if I can and I'll keep this updated on it

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I had reset the cmos and removed the battery last night, and I've just now tried jumping it but I'm still getting a sudden flick of power and then it shuts off again,

I'll try ordering a speaker for tomorrow if I can and I'll keep this updated on it
Remove the video card and just use one stick of memory with no drives hooked up and try to boot into BIOS. Only doing part of what listed is not good enough were on the web I'm not their.

EDIT as above you are only using the cables from the new PSU right?

Nov 22, 2022
Remove the video card and just use one stick of memory with no drives hooked up and try to boot into BIOS. Only doing part of what listed is not good enough were on the web I'm not their.

EDIT as above you are only using the cables from the new PSU right?

sorry I forgot to include that, my video card has been disconnected since last night, and I put in just the corsair stick of ram, removed my drives and they're just on the table now.
and I've only got the new cables in, the old psu would have to be taken apart for the cables to be used

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
sorry I forgot to include that, my video card has been disconnected since last night, and I put in just the corsair stick of ram, removed my drives and they're just on the table now.
and I've only got the new cables in, the old psu would have to be taken apart for the cables to be used
disconnected or removed the video card? same with the drives no reason to remove them but disconnected from the board and power supply