[SOLVED] PSU RX 5600/5700 series

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
Hi, i'd like to know if the Power Supply Thermaltake SMART SE 530W is compatible with the Radeon RX 5700 and Radeon RX 5600 X, in terms of pin for the supply and power.

Solution
Okay, may you name some good PSU at about 550/600W ?
What would you chose for this configuration, name some, please.
Seasonic Focus or Prime, 550W or 650W.

Corsair TX, TXm, RX, RXm, at 550W or 650W.

If you need to really keep it in budget, maybe CX (2017) or CXm, though I would say 650W on that.

Did you actually click and read the link that I have twice provided thus far? Your question would have been answered if you did.
That should be sufficient, the manual for the 530W shows that it has two PCI-E 6+2 pin connectors, which covers pretty much all GPUs in terms of connection compatibility. Depending on which model of 5700 / 5600 you get, you'll see any combination of two 6-pin ports, two 8-pin ports, or one 6-pin and one 8-pin, as my own XFX RX 5700 has.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
From the MUST READ for PSU selection:
The Thermaltake TR2 and Litepower series, even the newer revisions, should probably just be avoided altogether, along with the Smart series units, which are simply not good choices for use with gaming systems. If you want to use a Smart series unit with your internet browsing machine or some kind of low powered office box, it's probably ok. Although I'd recommend avoiding them, the Smart series units might be the best available units in some regions. That should not be mistaken for the idea that they are quality units though.

MatteoCaporale

Commendable
Mar 11, 2020
As I quoted in the above paragraph, neither the TR2 and the Litepower are good power supplies.

Also, what PSU you need is not dependent on JUST what video card you have - we'd have to know the rest of the system specs (CPU, how many drives you have, etc)

Okay, so my entire system will be:
CPU: ryzen 5 3600x
MOBO: MSI B450 gaming plus MAX
GPU: ASrock rx 5600 xt 6gb
Cooler sistem: Thermaltake Water 3.0
RAM: Geil DDR4 2400 Ghz (4x4GB)
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Kingstone 120 GB
Optional:
3 x Fan
1 x dvd-rom

Can you suggest me apower supply please?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Okay, may you name some good PSU at about 550/600W ?
What would you chose for this configuration, name some, please.
Seasonic Focus or Prime, 550W or 650W.

Corsair TX, TXm, RX, RXm, at 550W or 650W.

If you need to really keep it in budget, maybe CX (2017) or CXm, though I would say 650W on that.

Did you actually click and read the link that I have twice provided thus far? Your question would have been answered if you did.

Solution

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
That said, my recommendations derive entirely from the MUST READ for PSU selection page that I linked to before.
it's a bit ironic... since thermaltake has around 5 or so PSUs on the "smart" name, which all vary in quality you can't just say it's good or bad

unfortunately this looks to be a group regulated unit, so it classifies to me as one of the "bad" ones. with that said, if it was the smart pro rgb for example, it would've been fine.

similar thing with TR2 actually... TR2 RX bronze would be totally fine as well.

but again, I've shown my points to him already, as he disregards popular brands like Xilence, Be Quiet, FSP and many others before, while praising a 12 year old Seasonic platform

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
it's a bit ironic... since thermaltake has around 5 or so PSUs on the "smart" name, which all vary in quality you can't just say it's good or bad

unfortunately this looks to be a group regulated unit, so it classifies to me as one of the "bad" ones. with that said, if it was the smart pro rgb for example, it would've been fine.

similar thing with TR2 actually... TR2 RX bronze would be totally fine as well.

but again, I've shown my points to him already, as he disregards popular brands like Xilence, Be Quiet, FSP and many others before, while praising a 12 year old Seasonic platform
"Popular" doesn't matter.

I find the explanations as to why certain brands/models are praised vs avoided to be very reasonable. I would say using the same name on a whole series of different models, some good, some bad, does, in fact, warrant an "avoid unless you see a solid review of it" response. If you can't just say good or bad on a particular model, for your own best interest, you should assume bad unless proven otherwise.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
"Popular" doesn't matter.

I find the explanations as to why certain brands/models are praised vs avoided to be very reasonable. I would say using the same name on a whole series of different models, some good, some bad, does, in fact, warrant an "avoid unless you see a solid review of it" response.
except that i showed him one from xilence performance X at tweakpc (a very respected reviewers site in my eyes, but unfortunately write in German), built off the same XHY platform as cooler master's MWE Gold

with that he declares Be Quiet as needing to watch out with, while they currently sell
System power 9: CXM level
Pure Power 11 400w+: CX level
Straight Power 11: RMx level
Straight Power 11 platinum: HX level
Dark Power Pro 11: HX level

and soon Dark Power Pro 12 will join their lineup, which looks like a modified Enermax Maxtytan.

I like the idea he's doing by fully writing out up- and downsides of popular PSUs and would be happy to help him and even provide some extra info he could work with, but then he shouldn't refer to me as some PSU snob because i want to show him wrong. some of those companies, including Chieftec (use many higher end platforms from CWT in their PSUs), Aerocool (project 7), HEC/compucase (owns cougar and has produced decent PSUs like Cougar LX/GX-F, Cooler Master Masterwatt, CV650 and some others), High Power (very respected OEM for Rosewill, silverstone and Zalman), Raidmax (they made a decent 80+ titanium unit together with Andyson), Sharkoon (Silentstorm Cool Zero is actually quite decent).

Don't get me wrong, some advice in it is really useful from him and the concept is very workable with, but for his lack of willingness to change according to foreign reviewers like Tweakpc's Robert/Poiu, PCeva's Mufasa, Galax's/former Corsiar XOC'er Ronaldo Buassali and many more simply hurt him.

and i could go on and on, but you get the point. as much as i like the idea, I find it very lacking in some regards. he has his opinion about my work, and this is my opinion about his. sorry for derailing the thread around this

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know if I want to do a "spin off" of the argument going on in the PSU discussion thread.

I gave my reason, and why I prefer caution, and it seems like you oppose it. Other than that, I absolutely stand by the fact that popular does not equal high quality.