Question PSU SATA cable melted and took my SSD with it? Is my PSU dying?

Omnigash

Reputable
Jul 8, 2016
Yesterday I installed my new RX 580 8Gb and when I turned the PC on, I got the normal post screen, but smoke began to came out of the case. Quickly turned everything off and opened it to see what was going on and turned out that the SATA cable of the PSU melted and took my SSD with it. Early this year the same thing happened and I lost my new HDD.
Is my PSU dying, or can be another issue?

My rig:
Windows 10 Pro x64
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
8Gb RAM DDR2 800MHz
480Gb SSD (fried) and a 240gb SSD
RX 580 8Gb Asrock
Mobo ASUS P5KSE
PSU Seasonic S12II 620w

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Early this year the same thing happened and I lost my new HDD.

Why would you connect another drive to the system AND attempt to run a relatively power hungry GPU from a PSU that you had suspicions about?

It certainly sounds like you have a problem, yes. While an S12II shouldn't give you any major concerns, anything is possible - and the SATA power connector plugs melting would be a pretty obvious indication of a problem.

Reactions: Ralston18

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
my guess is that your sata power connectors may be broken or one of your cables is pinched that is causing it to form a resistive load and sends a whopping amount of amps down these cables until they melt the insulation or damage components , and since this is a non modular unit you are stuck with these cables you need a new PSU if you want to stop killing your components
and also your cpu is 14 years old and your motherboard must be at least 12 years old if i am being kind , i will get a newer system even if its used m you are extremely throttling that GPU with that system

mangaman

Honorable
While not an expert, it's without a doubt a PSU issue. The SATA cable melting is a clear indication that something is not right inside the PSU. That HDD that you lost should have been an indication to stop using the PSU, but I digress.

I would RMA asap if still under warranty.