PSU seems to be Fine, PC doenst boot

Jan 21, 2019
Hi there

I have an issue with a new build. I build these Budget PC's for colleagues and normally everything works out or is easy to diagnose but right now i am at the end of my knowledge. I hope somebody can help me figure it out. And i didnt open before trying other Threads and Problem solutions but i just cant seem to figure out what it ist.

The Systems Specs are:

Cpu: Ryzen 3 2200G
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro M.2
Psu: FSP AU600W (But i tried with another 650W)
Graphics Card: Red Devil Rx480 8gddr5
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300
Ram: Generic 8gb ddr4 Asus Oem Stick 2666mhz (I believe its SK Hynix branded)
Cpu Cooler: Wraith Prism
SSD: M.2 Samsung 250gb
HDD: 3.5' WD Blue 1Tb

So after figuring out what parts to use and how i could get them very cheap because she has such a limited budget, i built it with ESD protection and care etc. but it would turn on. No Power seemed dead. So i started checking things:

1. Does Motherboard get Power (No)
2. Does PSU turn on when Shorting Pins Green and Black (Yes)
3. Does shorting out Power SW pins on Motherboard start the PC and PSU (No)
4. Is the CMOS Battery empty (No)
5. Cables plugged out plugged in again.
6. Took the Motherboard and PSU out of the case. Checked that there were no shorts and removed everything not needed so only CPU Motherboard 24 pin and 8pin power and Cpu Cooler. Shortet the Power SW pins. (Nothing)
7. Plugged in the PSU in the Motherboard and shortet the Pins from the Back of the Motherboard. CPU Fan startet running and lights came on (Wraith Prism lights). But no Boot. When i check the 4 EZ Debug LEDs only the CPU light ist on. The Ram is off even tough the ram is inside the right slot and should be compatible. VGA is obviously off because the Cards not inside. The Boot LED is also not on. The Motherboard speaker i bought doenst make any beeps either.
Also the PSUs both only stayed on as long as i shortet the pins out. As soon as i removed the paperclip they stopped. Both of them are used but both were just removed from a working pc until then. And they turn on when shortet.

So i have now no working Powerbutton and the Mainboard seems to not be working. The Chipset should be compaible with the 2nd Ryzen so im at my end of experience. Could anyone help me? I think i tried all Things i can think of even when i forgot to describe one here.

I hope i'll find a solution and sorry for my english its not my first or second language

Kind Regards and thanks for the help
Sayine

Some thoughts:

1. ryzen is picky about ram. Not all DDR4 ram will work.
The ram kit you use should be explicitly supported by the motherboard QVL list or by the ram vendor support app for your motherboard.

2. psu paperclip test is worthless. It can only confirm a dead psu but says nothing about the proper working of a psu.
Since you tried two different power supplies, I would exclude them as the problem.

3. It is easy to misread the pin arrangement of the front panel header. Double check that.
If you are a pc builder, invest in a cheap power button like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Button-Computer-Switch-x/dp/B009CWY8PA

4. To get into the bios, you will need a monitor connected. I suggest connecting to your motherboard since the 2200g supports this.
You will need the cpu installed, the cooler fan connected and ram installed.
Leave all other parts disconnected until you can get into the bios screen.

5. If you can get into the bios, run memtest86 which will test basic functionality and the ram.

Ultimately, I suspect the problem is incompatible ram.

Jan 21, 2019
Thank your for the fast answer.

1. PC compatibility Checker says it works with the exact model of Ram i used for the Build. But i will double check. Otherwise ill just buy a diffrent ram Stick.

2. The only Reason i did the test is because i dont have a multimeter right now except at School.

3. I have an external Switch, or by just shorting it with a screwdriver. I double checked but it doesnt start the PSU.

Thank you for the Propositions, i will try diffrent RAM i have laying around. Problem is, the PSU doenst even start when the RAM is not installed. Surely this has to be a diffrent Problem than with the ram or not? Just trying to figure out how to get the Motherboard to start the PSU with the Front Panel Connector.