Question PSU Short? - dead computer - GPU okay ?

Trishai

Reputable
Apr 22, 2017
Hey all, so two days ago my PC of 6 / 7 years decided to explode on me when it was turned on; as soon as I logged into Windows and saw my desktop I heard an extremely loud bang, similar to a firework going off right next to me. Next thing I knew my PC is dead. What seems to have happened is the CPU liquid cooling had leaked and gone down to the PSU.

What I'm wondering is, is my GPU possibly still usable? The computer was almost 7 years old since I built it in 2013 but my GPU was upgraded recently, a 1080ti.

Now I have brand new parts on the way to build the next one but I left out buying a new GPU just in case I can still use the one in the dead PC.

What I'm unsure of is if the GPU has been killed or damaged, does it pose a threat to the new PC if I install it to see if it is working?

Thanks for any info

I'd say you will be OK as long as the liquid didn't go over the GPU.
Always a chance it did go bang as well, but a small one.

If it has gone bad, I would have thought it just wouldn't work. I'd say the new motherboard has over current protection and will save you if the GPU has gone short and draws too much power.

Trishai

Reputable
Apr 22, 2017
Okay thanks ElectrO, it is possible liquid had gotten onto the GPU, possibly onto the x16 pins. It had a back plate on the GPU which might have stopped any liquid from touching the board.

Just worried about plugging it into a new motherboard with all new parts