PSU shot a massive flash. Can I still use it?

AtomicPrime

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
Yup. So I tried to configure and replace my current PC. (Intel I5 2400, AMD HD 6000 Series, 250 Watt PSU, 8 GB DDR5, 1 TB HDD) I tried replacing the GPU and PSU. (AMD Sapphire Pulse 560 4gb, Apevia Beast 550 Watts) So I turned on the power supply, pressed the power button a few times without realising that the input power cable wasn’t turned on. Then I turned it on. And BANG.
A loud flash. So with all of that, I’m a bit scared... ok VERY scared to touch it so it’s still just sitting on the desk with the input cable turned off. So... is it still good to use? I haven’t tried turning it on yet.

I really don’t want to put it in to technicians and pay for. So is it still good to use? Should I also provide a picture? Cause I do have lots of unplugged SATA, Peripheral and these weird 4 fat pins ( I think they are Molex ones) hanging and some down on the metal of the case.
Thanks.

Solution
I've actually seen such a thing before. The explosion is a large capacitor venting with flame, essentially like a firecracker.

When it happened to me, the PSU actually continued to work for a couple days until the electrolyte in the capacitor dried up (from its vent being blown open). It worked again after I replaced the capacitor, but like the others I suggest you upgrade to a better PSU as it would be inexpensive to do so.

Whether the PSU damaged anything else on its way out depends almost entirely on the design of the PSU.
I've actually seen such a thing before. The explosion is a large capacitor venting with flame, essentially like a firecracker.

When it happened to me, the PSU actually continued to work for a couple days until the electrolyte in the capacitor dried up (from its vent being blown open). It worked again after I replaced the capacitor, but like the others I suggest you upgrade to a better PSU as it would be inexpensive to do so.

Whether the PSU damaged anything else on its way out depends almost entirely on the design of the PSU.

Solution