[SOLVED] PSU slight buzzing noise. RMA ?

cleverlynamedperson

Commendable
Dec 25, 2018
Basically i built a new PC (my first build) and at first when playing games like csgo i noticed a tiny but of buzzing from the GPU. Iv since put that down to coil whine as everything works perfectly.

Just a few hours ago i was fixing some cable management with the PSU and noticed another form of buzzing. After testing all the power cables i discovered that the culprit for the buzzing is the 10 pin motherboard connector. I am able to provide images if im not describing this cable well enough.

I have tried every cable one by one in the PSU (including none of them plugged in and the power on) and the only time i get an audible buzzing is from the 10 pin connector. As far as i know im able to return it by 31st of january. Could do with some help. What should i do ?

Should add when using the front audio headphone jack i get a very small buzzing when using it if i try my best to hear it. It is not buzzing all the time and on the odd occasion i can hear it. This is not the case for the back audio jack. Any help is appreciated and again i can provide images for anything in time.

PC build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/TX28q4

Solution
I suggest waiting a week and see if the sound goes away. If the sound persists, then return the PSU to the vendor and get another one. If you feel that the sound is getting worse or you are hearing additional sounds, then shut it down immediately and return the PSU. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Also, you should return the PSU to the vendor instead of RMA to the manufacturer.
I suggest waiting a week and see if the sound goes away. If the sound persists, then return the PSU to the vendor and get another one. If you feel that the sound is getting worse or you are hearing additional sounds, then shut it down immediately and return the PSU. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Also, you should return the PSU to the vendor instead of RMA to the manufacturer.

Solution

cleverlynamedperson

Commendable
Dec 25, 2018

Hi ill definetely do that. Thanks for the reply. When you say return to vendor you mean amazon instead of corsair ? Just checking.

If you bought the PSU from Amazon, then yes, you should return it to them. In general, it is always better to return it to the store you bought the item from than through the manufacturer. The latter may end up sending you a refurbished replacement instead of a new replacement.