Question PSU slight buzzing noise

Dec 3, 2019
Hello guys. My PSU makes a slight buzzing noise (barely audible) when the gpu is under load (gaming etc). It's really light and can only hear it properly when i put my ear next to it, although i can hear it when i sit on my chair if i really focus.

It immediately stops whenever i pause a game and the GPU usage drops to 0%.
I have read about coil whine and i think it isn't that. Many people suggest that it isn't anything dangerous
but i can't help but wonder.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3400g
G.skill Ripjaws 16gb 3200
Gigabyte Aorus B450 M rev 1.0
Coolermaster Cmp 500
Force 650w
Sapphire RX580 nitro+ 8gb

No overclocking done whatsoever. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2019
Is this happening recently or your psu is new?
If it's old then how old is your psu?
If you really worry about this then send it to the warranty if you still have warranty for it. (Cause I'm not fully sure that this isn't gonna harm your components)
Just be 100% sure that this isn't coil whining, sometimes fan try to run faster when psu is under load to keep everything cool.

Dec 3, 2019
Started happening yesterday when i installed the new GPU ( i was running the ryzen with the integrated graphics). It had never made any noises before that.
The psu is relatively new. Bought it 2 months ago. I unfortunately have lost the warranty paper (i'm a jackass i know).

I'm 99% sure that it is not coil whining. I have watched plenty of videos explaining the problem and i haven't heard anything like that from my system. Just a slight buzz. Maybe it's the fans i don't know. I just get a little paranoid if you know what i mean.

Edit. It sounds like an electrical buzz not something from the fans spining.

ionutnedelcu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
Started happening yesterday when i installed the new GPU

considering it started after you've added an increased load, it makes sense that it would be coil whine. that being said, I've had some noise-related issues with my old PSU and it turned out to be the fan which was causing it.
In your case, I think it is coil whine, but the timing is a bit odd.
Are you sure the noise is coming from the PSU and not the GPU? Sometimes it's hard to make out exactly where the sound is coming from.

Dec 3, 2019
Yes i opened my case and put my ear next to everything while a game was running. Definetely the PSU. I gamed a bit just now and after 10-15 minutes i bent down to listen to it again and i noticed a slight plastic smell emating from the PSUs general direction. Nothing too strong or burnt smelling but definetely there.
Double checked the GPU and it is ok. No weird sounds coming from it no smell no nothing. Temperatures haven't surpassed 60c with every game i tested.

ionutnedelcu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
noticed a slight plastic smell emating from the PSUs general direction

At this point, I would return it, but since you don't have the paperwork, that might prove difficult.

Have you noticed the PSU getting warm? It could be that the extra load is either causing more heat, which in turn causes the smell, or the worst-case scenario is that there's an imperfect connection somewhere inside (I've never seen this on a PC PSU, but I have seen it on other PSUs, where it got so bad that it actually melted stuff).

Dec 3, 2019
Quick update guys, The PSU fried on sunday afrernoon.
I swapped it with the one being suggested to me the most. Corsair TX650M. Fortunately no components where damaged by that other crappy PSU failing on me. Learned my lesson the hard way. Don't cheap out on your PSU guys.