Question PSU smell ?

Feb 21, 2023
Hello,
I have bought a Seasonic 1300W Platinum.
Right out of the box, when I smelled the PSU, I could smell it.
I would compare the smell to a chemical, gas or metallic or acid smell.
When I smell the PSU from the back of the computer, I still smell this smell, I've had it for almost a week now and it's still the same.
The PSU works. I don't have any blue screen.
The smell only comes from the back where the PSU is. Other components are ok.

Feb 21, 2023
contact Seasonic support with any concern you may have.

this would be a very vague description of any particular smell.
those four bases would have very different smell ranges.

They said that it shouldn't smell and that if it doesn't go away, they would recommend returning it.
This chemical smell is only noticeable when I smell it from behind the PSU but its still the same.
I don't know if it is normal for new PSUs to have smell.

Feb 21, 2023
normally nothing noticeable at all.

maybe some metallic odor when first opening the plastic bag inside the box, but nothing that lingers.
especially after some air has passed through it.
This what you have described it had. But still after a week I can smell the same odor from it coming out with out of change. Would you recommend taking it back to shop?

Feb 21, 2023
I have bought another same PSU to check if it is the same i have just installed it. It has same metallic vinegar smell right out of box. It is going now for a day and i can smell it in the room a little.
The previous one which was running for about 8 days now has just a little scent only when you put your face near the PSU. But the question is which should i keep. Beacue the previous one made some pop sounds when it was runing. There was no smoke it just cracked few times.
Which should I keep becasu the last day for me to return the previous one is friday tomorrow. But the new one has stronger odor. You think it will fade?

Feb 21, 2023
Right now you can't smell it in room.
You can smell it just slightly when you put your nose next to it but it's not smell of burnt plastic it's more like elektronic smell or little like vinegar or ozon.
Its is week now in use the smell is weaker than it was at start.

rebpc23

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
Right now you can't smell it in room.
You can smell it just slightly when you put your nose next to it but it's not smell of burnt plastic it's more like elektronic smell or little like vinegar or ozon.
Its is week now in use the smell is weaker than it was at start.
Hi RuneStoun, just curious if the smell has dissipated by now?