Question PSU Sound. What is it?

nTudor

Commendable
Mar 16, 2020
Hello guys.

I have this problem with my PSU and I would like to know if it's normal/safe? It could damage other components ?

Keep in mind that the sistem is brand new.

Here's an audio on how it sounds like;
View: https://vimeo.com/402082151

As you already noticed, the sound isn't continuous. It comes randomly and I can also hear it when the sistem is shutdown.

Thank you.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What specs in your system? For psu maker+model+wattage.

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

nTudor

Commendable
Mar 16, 2020
That one seems to have a 12 year warranty so might be good to contact Seasonic and might want to rma.

Other thing, can you test it in/with another pc maybe?
On Seasonic web site they're saying that I have to speak with the local provider. I obviously have done that and they said to me that I have no reason to return it because coil whine is not an issue. I have another PC where I could test it but I'm not good with these things.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
From what i've heard can coil whine become an inherently bigger issue in the future which has to do with how psu's are made (how they make 12V/5V/3.3V from 115V/230 Volts) and how parts ask for power. Still don't think it should do it when the pc is totally off.

Had one pc where putting an usb stick in the front ports took coil whine away, can test.

nTudor

Commendable
Mar 16, 2020
From what i've heard can coil whine become an inherently bigger issue in the future which has to do with how psu's are made (how they make 12V/5V/3.3V from 115V/230 Volts) and how parts ask for power. Still don't think it should do it when the pc is totally off.

Had one pc where putting an usb stick in the front ports took coil whine away, can test.
Thank you for your suggestion, man. I doubt it will help but I'll give it a go.

I had a cellphone charger that would whine without a phone attached and be silent with a load... These switching power supplies...
Imagine if you would regulate the water flow in your shower by fully opening and closing the tap really fast to get 10% of the full flow on average. Now coil would be your hose.

Last edited: