Question PSU sparked, i saw Spark,but pc is still turning On, so confused!!help!

Jul 31, 2018
7
0
10
0
Watch the language
so this happend this morning,
i was turning on my pc, i plugged my spike gaurd to Ac supply,when i turned on AC supply of my spike gaurd and spike gaurd turned on and i saw my psu sparked. spark was near psu's switch button.
i immediately turned off my spike gaurd. in this whole situation my cpu was completely turned off i didnt even touch my cpu button. i just hit ac supply on and its happend. but when i try again to turn on my pc to check if my other components are damaged or not. it started successfully.
so my question is My power supply is Removed? if it is then why pc is turning on? and what about my other pc components(gpu, cpu ,mobo,ssd,ram) are they damaged bcoz of this or later this spark will cause problem for my other hardware.
/*
sorry for my bad English.
*/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2018
7
0
10
0
Only way to see if anything is damaged is by actually using the PC. You said it booted fine, means the PSU didn't completely die, so maybe it wasn't a spark anywhere important.
i saw spark outside of psu and burning smell coming from psu, im so confused and scared, i just wanted to know that this is all my psu fault or my main supply fault or psu's power cable fault and later on is this gonna affect my other components of pc or not , i got new psu today so lets how it goes. thanks for reply sir.
 

jonnyguru

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
883
246
19,440
44
Ok. First things first: That is a REALLY shitty PSU. Really shitty and REALLY old. Surprised it still works at all.

i plugged my spike gaurd to Ac supply,when i turned on AC supply of my spike gaurd and spike gaurd turned on and i saw my psu sparked. spark was near psu's switch button.
Yeah... That's normal. That's why I suggest people not unplug their PSU, use the switch on the back to turn it off/on, etc. on a regular basis.

You have bulk cap in there that smooths the AC input. That bulk cap needs to be fully charged for the PSU to operate. If you kill power to the PSU, that cap eventually drains. When you SHOVE power back into that capacitor by flipping on the power switch, you're creating a massive in-rush of current into the PSU to recharge that cap so the PSU can properly operate again. This rush of current (called "in rush current", by the way) can be enough to cause a visual spark.

so my question is My power supply is Removed?
Not any more than it was before it showed the spark. It's not any more shittier than it already is.

and what about my other pc components(gpu, cpu ,mobo,ssd,ram) are they damaged bcoz of this or later this spark will cause problem for my other hardware.
No. This spark did not cause any damage to any of your other PC components. Your PC components are slowly being killed because you have a shitty power supply.
 
Reactions: sk5276873
You have bulk cap in there that smooths the AC input. That bulk cap needs to be fully charged for the PSU to operate. If you kill power to the PSU, that cap eventually drains. When you SHOVE power back into that capacitor by flipping on the power switch, you're creating a massive in-rush of current into the PSU to recharge that cap so the PSU can properly operate again. This rush of current (called "in rush current", by the way) can be enough to cause a visual spark.
Out of curiosity, where would the arcing occur ? I could maybe see the switch contacts arcing or something if you were turning it off/on via the PSU switch, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
 

jonnyguru

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
883
246
19,440
44
Out of curiosity, where would the arcing occur ? I could maybe see the switch contacts arcing or something if you were turning it off/on via the PSU switch, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Just the switch contacts. That's why it's probably nothing to be worried about. I usually see higher wattage PSUs do this when you throw the switch because they have much larger bulk caps. This PSU is probably doing it because its cheap and they're using undersized parts.
 
Reactions: TJ Hooker
Jul 31, 2018
7
0
10
0
Ok. First things first: That is a REALLY shitty PSU. Really shitty and REALLY old. Surprised it still works at all.



Yeah... That's normal. That's why I suggest people not unplug their PSU, use the switch on the back to turn it off/on, etc. on a regular basis.

You have bulk cap in there that smooths the AC input. That bulk cap needs to be fully charged for the PSU to operate. If you kill power to the PSU, that cap eventually drains. When you SHOVE power back into that capacitor by flipping on the power switch, you're creating a massive in-rush of current into the PSU to recharge that cap so the PSU can properly operate again. This rush of current (called "in rush current", by the way) can be enough to cause a visual spark.



Not any more than it was before it showed the spark. It's not any more shittier than it already is.



No. This spark did not cause any damage to any of your other PC components. Your PC components are slowly being killed because you have a shitty power supply.
thanks sir for help, i bought new power supply finally, coolermaster Mwe 450
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY