PSU started screaming when PC was off. Won't power on. New PSU also wont power the system and is now squealing too. Help.

Mar 18, 2018
PC lit up briefly (GPU LEDs) as it was producing a high pitch squeal, while off, in the middle of the night. The noise was coming from the PSU, and the PC would not turn on. I got a new PSU, MB LED on, and solid, but still would not turn on. Now, the new PSU is making the loud high pitch squeal. Something is broken, and I really need help before I end up building an entirely new system. For reference, the GPU is a 1060 and the PSU has more than enough wattage (650) for the whole system. Nothing had gone wrong for months until it did this on its own, while powered off, last night. What could have failed to (maybe) kill 2 PSUs, while the entire rig is OFF?? The MB, ram, and CPU are older. CPU is an AMD FX 6120 6 core, mobo is idk but its DDR3. Ram is some Patriot sticks, 16gig total. PSU(s) are Corsair CX650M's.

Solution
The noise was probably a bearing freezing up on the power supply fan. There isn't anything that I can think of other than an electrical problem with the circuit.

I ran across an outlet that was a regular 110V outlet on a 220V circuit (not exactly up to code). But it ruined two vacuum pumps in a row before we figured out what was going on.
The noise was probably a bearing freezing up on the power supply fan. There isn't anything that I can think of other than an electrical problem with the circuit.

I ran across an outlet that was a regular 110V outlet on a 220V circuit (not exactly up to code). But it ruined two vacuum pumps in a row before we figured out what was going on.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS