[SOLVED] PSU started smoking - cause of problem?

Sep 7, 2020
I recently changed my GPU and had no display even though all lights and fans were running inside my pc. After hours of trying to get it going my PSU released some smoke when flipping the on/off switch. I want to know whether the original cause of the problem could have been the PSU, and if it is worth replacing (no other parts broken).

Mobo: B450 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: R9 290
RAM: Ripjaws V DDR4-2666 (2x4 GB)
PSU: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320Gb

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the advice. I went out and bought an EVGA 600 BR PSU and there is still no display, how could I troubleshoot this?
Make sure you have connected 8 or 6 pin connectors to your gpu and the hdmi cable or whatever you use is connected from your graphics card to your monitor other than that i would pull out the gpu and test it on another pc

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That is a very old power supply and it's group-regulated (in modern, post Pentium III terms, it's not even a 400W power supply). And you threw on a rather power-hungry, inefficient GPU on top of it. This was an invitation for trouble, sooner or later.

It's likely that the rest of the components are OK as it's likely that the protections kicked in. But you'll only know with a new, working PSU. I'd recommend at least a 550W PSU from one of the top couple tiers on our housed PSU tier list.

While it's no longer a higher-end GPU -- it's beaten handily by a 1650 Super -- the GPU still has the high-end power needs, so it makes sense to get a PSU of quality that reflects those needs.

Reactions: thekillerx10
Sep 7, 2020
That is a very old power supply and it's group-regulated (in modern, post Pentium III terms, it's not even a 400W power supply). And you threw on a rather power-hungry, inefficient GPU on top of it. This was an invitation for trouble, sooner or later.

It's likely that the rest of the components are OK as it's likely that the protections kicked in. But you'll only know with a new, working PSU. I'd recommend at least a 550W PSU from one of the top couple tiers on our housed PSU tier list.

While it's no longer a higher-end GPU -- it's beaten handily by a 1650 Super -- the GPU still has the high-end power needs, so it makes sense to get a PSU of quality that reflects those needs.
Thanks for the advice. I went out and bought an EVGA 600 BR PSU and there is still no display, how could I troubleshoot this?

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Make sure you have connected 8 or 6 pin connectors to your gpu and the hdmi cable or whatever you use is connected from your graphics card to your monitor other than that i would pull out the gpu and test it on another pc

Solution