[SOLVED] PSU suddenly making loud buzzing noise

Jul 10, 2020
Specs:
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
i5 3570K CPU with Nero 3 CPU cooler
8GB DDR3 RAM recently doubled to 16GB
OCZ StealthXstream 2 600W PSU
Radeon RX 580 graphics card (upgraded a year ago from a AMD Radeon HD 6850)

Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzFuqraQN9o

Started happening a couple days ago. Very loud annoying buzzing noise coming from PSU. Checked CPU temps and CPU/RAM use and all seems ok.

I restarted a couple of times and one time the buzzing stopped but instead I heard a very loud squeak/squeal noise, almost as if it's the fan or something trying to turn but failing to.

Does this mean my PSU needs replaced to a better quality one or a higher-wattage one? Is there a risk of it failing and if so can it take out the rest of my computer with it? Will I be able to get by with it until next week if I avoid playing games or doing anything intensive?

Solution
Yes. Replace it. That unit is VERY old. 10 years most likely, based on reviews of that unit's release date.

WAY past time to replace it.

I would recommend that you do not wait, or, that you discontinue using the system until you can replace it.

Not that YOUR unit is low quality like this one likely was, but it's simply a warning regarding what CAN happen with a faulty power supply.

Yes. Replace it. That unit is VERY old. 10 years most likely, based on reviews of that unit's release date.

WAY past time to replace it.

I would recommend that you do not wait, or, that you discontinue using the system until you can replace it.

Not that YOUR unit is low quality like this one likely was, but it's simply a warning regarding what CAN happen with a faulty power supply.

Solution
Jul 10, 2020
The computer is 8 years old.

Any recommendations for a PSU for my system?

I also overclocked my CPU from 3.4 to 4.2 (which I have now undone because of the PSU issue, but I intend to overclock it again once the PSU is replaced).

Also is replacing a PSU difficult? I've replaced RAM and video-cards before but not a PSU? Is it simply a case of unscrewing it/removing all the connectors then screwing in the new one and reconnecting the connectors?

Last edited:
The computer is 8 years old.
So the PSU is 8 years old. That is still 5 years beyond the 3 year warranty. Manufacturers generally warrant their power supplies for the length of time they believe them to be reasonably reliable for. Beyond that, they may last a while, but every year gets you a little closer to "poof the magic smoke dragon".

Any recommendations for a PSU for my system?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Right now? Right now is arguably the worst time there has ever been, in the history of, ever, to buy a power supply. See news for description of Covid 19 and complete stoppage of manufacturing and shipping from China, where all power supplies come from.

In truth, availability and options are abysmal and prices are outrageous. You will pay more than you would have three months ago for an extremely good unit, right now, for a really mediocre one. That's just the way it is. If you want a really good one, you're going to pay probably 50-100% more than it would have cost last December.

How much can you afford to throw at a power supply?

Also is replacing a PSU difficult? I've replaced RAM and video-cards before but not a PSU? Is it simply a case of unscrewing it/removing all the connectors then screwing in the new one and reconnecting the connectors?

I can't tell you what to buy because what's available this hour will not be available an hour from now, and what is not available right now, might become available in an hour. You have to be VERY DILIGENT about looking frequently on vendor sites as they are coming into and out of stock at a very rapid rate due to the lack of availability right now. Everybody "just wants one that does it's job", but unfortunately, when you go through three months of NO power supplies being manufactured or shipped out from China, you end up with a serious lack of supply so everything that is available gets snatched up quickly.

You have to be patient and thorough in your search for a power supply and I'd use my guide at the following link to help you find a model that is suitable and would be recommended. It's not going to be a simple process. Sorry. That ship has sailed.

TRENDING THREADS