psu sufficient for upcoming upgrade

Jul 14, 2018
So im just inquiring if my current psu EVGA 850BQ will efficiently run my new build, i know its not the most efficient just wondering what the community has to say.

Its not my primary system but my wife's, casually used for gaming for maybe 1-2hr sessions throughout the week and schoolwork split between that and her laptop.

System's currently running,
-AMD FX 8150
-CPU cooler arcticool liquid freezer 120 (keeps it low low arount 20C)
-AMD Saphire 290x with the original shitty fan blower (runs around 89C)
-32g ddr3 RAM @ 1600
-2x Corsair SP 120 fans, 1unknown
-PSU is EVGA 850BQ as stated (bronze?)
-256g ssd, 1tb hd
-unknown LED 2 strip RGB lighting control/box
-Enermax Ostrog case
-mobo ASRock 970a-g/ 3.1

Upgrading to improve the 290x temps, so i'll be adding the NZXT kraken g12 and a themaltake water 3.0 extreme s, and a new case the raidmax alpha (not pro or elite) which has another built in front mounted LED strip. I just want to make sure with the additional cooler/fans im not going to create a situation where the lower tier PSU will fail. These were my old components, my last mobo took a shit with almost most of the same hardware, it was my old PSU that failed and was a 650w bronze, so i got the EVGA for temporary replacement but its been relatively good. I've only seen 1 or 2 cases of the current system failing under load (ESO and ARK) but nothing other than that.

Additionally I don't really like the idea of mounting the gpu cooler (extreme s) right behind the case's plastic sheet they use for light dispersion, i was considering poking a lot of holes in it, but it does have vents on both sides of the front plate, so i may be overthinking that. Any feedback greatly appreciated :)

I do have a spare corsair cx650m lying around so if y'all think that may be a better option let me know too. :) thanks

Solution
The new Corsair CX/CXMs, like yours, are good. The EVGA BQ are alright. Both are usually budget options.
You can find some very high quality power supplies for $80 USD. This includes the Bitfenix Whisper, Corsair RMx, be Quiet! Straight Power 11, EVGA G3, Seasonic Focus.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The CX650M would be better, due to better performance and protections.

What do you mean by efficient? Efficiency refers to the ratio between power from the wall, and power delivered.
Your system may require ~300w during a gaming load. At that load your PSU would be ~86.7% efficient. Your CX650m would be ~88.2% efficient. That's 346W and 340W drawn from the wall, respectively. Efficiency is usually negligible unless you have a beast PC, expensive electricity, or a big workload (e.g Mining systems at high load 24/7).
650W is plenty if you were wondering.

Jul 14, 2018

I think i mean efficient in terms of the psu tier (i heavily relied on the psu tier list that was on this forum once, but i havent been able to find it recently). I've been away from systems for almost 4 years so trying to educate myself along the way. So cx650m may be the better choice in my case? Im also willing to upgrade psu entirely, ive got 2 kids so i can use that as an excuse to build them both a system around the cx and evga ;P. I run a seasonic gold+ and if i remember it was around $80? So i'd be willing to get a legit psu for the wife's rig if theres one out there for some bang for the buck.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
The new Corsair CX/CXMs, like yours, are good. The EVGA BQ are alright. Both are usually budget options.
You can find some very high quality power supplies for $80 USD. This includes the Bitfenix Whisper, Corsair RMx, be Quiet! Straight Power 11, EVGA G3, Seasonic Focus.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

save the money, dont waste anything more on this obsolete setup

way past the point of upgrading