Question PSU Suggestion for longevity/upgrades

Jun 16, 2024
Recently started building a new PC, parts here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F23th3
To make it easy ill list them as well :

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
SAMA SI360 Liquid CPU Cooler 360mm Addressable RGB Pump PWM & FDB Fans AIO Water Cooler
ASRock B650M Pro RS Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Silicon Power UD90 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card
Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case

"be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply" was the power supply I had, it was DOA and I just got done setting up a return to amazon. So I am questioning if the PSU I got was too much, if I should just buy the exact same one, or if I should go with something more around 850w instead of 1000w. I want to get a good 4-5 years at least out of this PC. Not against overclocking and such just havent ever done it and wouldnt mind the possibility. Money isnt that tight, looking to spend around 100$ but I can justify going to $150 if its worth it. Thought I could just use the PSU Cultist tier list but honestly I have no idea what half of that means. I will be looking and researching after posting this of course, but any direction or suggestion would be appreciated. Wouldnt mind a white PSU but honestly it doesnt matter to me all that much.

Recently started building a new PC, parts here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F23th3
To make it easy ill list them as well :

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
SAMA SI360 Liquid CPU Cooler 360mm Addressable RGB Pump PWM & FDB Fans AIO Water Cooler
ASRock B650M Pro RS Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Silicon Power UD90 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card
Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case

"be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply" was the power supply I had, it was DOA and I just got done setting up a return to amazon. So I am questioning if the PSU I got was too much, if I should just buy the exact same one, or if I should go with something more around 850w instead of 1000w. I want to get a good 4-5 years at least out of this PC. Not against overclocking and such just havent ever done it and wouldnt mind the possibility. Money isnt that tight, looking to spend around 100$ but I can justify going to $150 if its worth it. Thought I could just use the PSU Cultist tier list but honestly I have no idea what half of that means. I will be looking and researching after posting this of course, but any direction or suggestion would be appreciated. Wouldnt mind a white PSU but honestly it doesnt matter to me all that much.
The Pure Power 12 M is a good PSU, however, a little expensive for where it's build quality resides compared to other PSUs. Basically it is a mid range PSU at high end prices. Going with a 1000W PSU will give you a wide ability to go with much more powerful GPUs in the future. I'd go with a SeaSonic Focus GX 3.0 instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $139.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 14:51 EDT-0400

Jun 16, 2024
The Pure Power 12 M is a good PSU, however, a little expensive for where it's build quality resides compared to other PSUs. Basically it is a mid range PSU at high end prices. Going with a 1000W PSU will give you a wide ability to go with much more powerful GPUs in the future. I'd go with a SeaSonic Focus GX 3.0 instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-1000 ATX 3.0 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $139.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 14:51 EDT-0400
Thanks for the suggestion and the one below yours, I looked at both, and honestly looking at the reviews id be happy with either one, and theyre both good companies to my knowledge. My new conundrum would be the Corsair RMx is actually on sale atm, so a $150 PSU for $115, and the seasonic is just normal price, still worth the money it seems, and keeps me at 1000W instead of the 850 at the 115. My new question would be, since saving money is always a good thing and im leaning toward the 850w corsair, if I did choose to upgrade my GPU in the next few years, how likely am I to run into a wattage issue or PSU compatibility issue? Or am I just really over thinking this.

Thanks for the suggestion and the one below yours, I looked at both, and honestly looking at the reviews id be happy with either one, and theyre both good companies to my knowledge. My new conundrum would be the Corsair RMx is actually on sale atm, so a $150 PSU for $115, and the seasonic is just normal price, still worth the money it seems, and keeps me at 1000W instead of the 850 at the 115. My new question would be, since saving money is always a good thing and im leaning toward the 850w corsair, if I did choose to upgrade my GPU in the next few years, how likely am I to run into a wattage issue or PSU compatibility issue? Or am I just really over thinking this.
You won't have any compatibility issues since there are 2x 8pin > 12pin cables around. That said there is little reason to go with a non ATX 3.X version PSU now. The specification was released in Feb 2022 and companies began releasing them in summer 2022. Since this is a new system, it makes sense to have the newer specification for the PSU. For the RMx line up that would be the RMx Shift. In terms of wattage an 850W PSU is the minimum PSU recommended by nVidia for the RTX 4090 (with an AMD 5900X CPU) so a GPU with a 450W draw. Odds are that 850W will be good enough for an RTX 5070 or RTX 6070 in the future as those are more upper mid-range to low enthuaist level GPUs. Note if you go with an 850W the Focus GX 3.0 is only $110 whereas the RMx Shift at 850W is $125.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-850 ATX 3.0 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $109.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 16:02 EDT-0400

Here is some information on the ATX 3.0 specification
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-atx-v3-psu-standard

Reactions: YouGotJokes
Jun 16, 2024
You won't have any compatibility issues since there are 2x 8pin > 12pin cables around. That said there is little reason to go with a non ATX 3.X version PSU now. The specification was released in Feb 2022 and companies began releasing them in summer 2022. Since this is a new system, it makes sense to have the newer specification for the PSU. For the RMx line up that would be the RMx Shift. In terms of wattage an 850W PSU is the minimum PSU recommended by nVidia for the RTX 4090 (with an AMD 5900X CPU) so a GPU with a 450W draw. Odds are that 850W will be good enough for an RTX 5070 or RTX 6070 in the future as those are more upper mid-range to low enthuaist level GPUs. Note if you go with an 850W the Focus GX 3.0 is only $110 whereas the RMx Shift at 850W is $125.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-850 ATX 3.0 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $109.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-22 16:02 EDT-0400

Here is some information on the ATX 3.0 specification
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-atx-v3-psu-standard
ok thats good to know before I jumped the gun, Ill definitely give those links a look and listen if there is a video. I feel comfortable enough with going with either of your suggestions, both are affordable, I would just have to ask if one is better than the other regardless of price? They both seem like good companies. Would I be giving up any type of quality going with the seasonic over the corsair? If not Id just go with the less expensive option, but if the corsair is worth the extra money for the same output im ok with that too

Edit: Decided to go with the corsair sift version. Seemed like if I wanted any different cables at some point or had any issues down the line corsair seems to have more longevity and better rma experiences. Obviously this is just coming from a few different sites and reviews I looked over quickly and skimmed. But im happy with it. Hopefully its not DOA like my last one and my pc will be good to go with this.

ok thats good to know before I jumped the gun, Ill definitely give those links a look and listen if there is a video. I feel comfortable enough with going with either of your suggestions, both are affordable, I would just have to ask if one is better than the other regardless of price? They both seem like good companies. Would I be giving up any type of quality going with the seasonic over the corsair? If not Id just go with the less expensive option, but if the corsair is worth the extra money for the same output im ok with that too

Edit: Decided to go with the corsair sift version. Seemed like if I wanted any different cables at some point or had any issues down the line corsair seems to have more longevity and better rma experiences. Obviously this is just coming from a few different sites and reviews I looked over quickly and skimmed. But im happy with it. Hopefully its not DOA like my last one and my pc will be good to go with this.
The Corsair RMx Shift is a very good PSU and it will last for a long time.