PSU Suggestions Pl0x!

Lavace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Lo Everyone!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.5GHz // Arctic Freezer 7 Pro (I changed the speeds a while ago).
1GB DDR2 PC5400
ATI X1800GTO 256MB PCI-E
Gigabyte 965P-DS3
250GB Sata II Maxtor Diamondmax 10
DVD-RW DRive, DVD Drive, Mouse, Keyboard, Webcam and so on attached as well.

That is my system spec more or less, and in a few months I will most likely upgrade to an 8800GTS or the ATI Equivalent (Dependant on which performs better).

Can someone suggest a decent PSU, that will keep me futureproofed for this upgrade?

I'm tight on budget, I don't particularly spend alot of PSU's when building systems, but this is my main system that I am always using, but still I am tight =], the reason is cause the generic PSU that came with my Case has died on me, and needs to be changed.

Looking for some quick suggestions as I'd like to order ASAP! Thanks.

Lavace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
What does Modular mean?

I'm in UK, but it seems most of those models on there are available.
So my system will run fine with something 38A? I don't understand why there are systems with over 75A!? Is that for hardcore systems, such as Dual 8800GTX, Quad Core and so fourth?

Also, why are some PSU's SLI only, and not Crossfire?

Looking around now =]. Suggestions are still open, thanks for the link!

Lavace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ahh, Thanks.
Why are some SLI only and some CF only, and some BOTH?

Are the connectors for them different I assume?

Lavace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks for all your help!
I've narrowed it down to these two Hipers:

Hiper 530W Black Type-R

Hiper 530W Black Type-M

Will both of these keep me futureproofed for say, over a year or two?

Also, which one do you think I should go for? One is Type M, one is Type R, what are the main differences?

I'm currently looking on the manufactures website, but can you explain the diff of M and R?

Lavace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
You're thread and in here too, have been a tremendous help!

Antec True Power 430W

Or

Antec NeoHE 430W

I'm thinking of that, but how many watts would you suggest? And I'm definatly getting an 8800GTS in the future (few months). That PSU has 48Amps total on the 3x +12V Rails, and the other more I think. I'm beggining to understand this =].

Update: Also looking at:
CoolerMaster iGreen 430W
Seems to have 38A and 430W, as well as very efficent =]. Also, very cheap, comming in at around £40!

Any suggestions?

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My advice is try and find a PSU with a single 12v rail. If it has multiple rails then you may be losing amps that are locked up on underutilized rails. That is unless the PSU isn't really multi-rail because it joins them up inside the unit itself. JonnyGuru has some excellent reviews where he looks inside and tests if the rails are really separate or not. http://www.jonnyguru.com/index.php

Another thing to look out for is the difference between peak power and maximum continuous power. If you add up all the numbers on those Antecs you linked you will come out with 664 watts that they are advertising. Volts x Amps = Watts. Do the math on all those rails and add it up and Antec is saying that those units provide 664 watts from a 430 watt unit. :roll: The numbers they are putting out on that site are a very, very optimistic peak power which means the PSU could possibly provide that much power for a few seconds. Sounds like absolute BS to me and Antecs are lousy units anyways.

What you want to know is what is the max continuous power, at normal operating temps, that the PSU can reliably supply for an extended period of time on the 12v raisl(s)

I like the PC P&C line but they aren't readily available in the UK I don't think but I'll use it as an example of an excellent unit with honest numbers advertised. A PC P&C Silencer 470 has a full 470 watts max continuous available with 26 amps (or 312 watts) available on the 12v rail. That is one of the best PSUs you can buy and it is expensive yet it doesn't come close to the numbers the much cheaper Antec claims it is providing. Check out the PC P&C site for some good info on PSU basics. Not saying to buy one but at least educate yourself before investing your hard earned cash.
http://www.pcpower.com/home/

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
You'll have to ask him mate but I am sure he will tell you that as of late several Antec models have failed, some catastrophicaly, due to poor caps and/or poor quality control. On our Asus Independent site we have had 5 SmartPowers fail, 4 of them taking other components with them, in the last 3 months.

We are a relatively small site so the above is a significant number and enough for me to say "Choose another manufacturer." when asked my opinion. I have nothing personal against Antecs but they have become unreliable as of late and I don't recommend them when there are so many other good brands out there.

As always YMMV, but I know what I am seeing and that is irrefutable. If you or mpilchfamily are seeing something else then feel free to recommend Antec but some of their newer units (last 6-8 months or so) are having lots of problems. You can pick and choose the good Antecs, based on when and where they were manufactured but why would you bother with that wehn you can get another unit at the same price and have no worries.

Lavace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Alright, my decision is the: 500W CoolerMaster iGreen.

Seems good value to me at the 500W mark, at 600W there comes other PSU's that are more powerful at the same price.

Can anyone find anything better at the £50 mark? £52 is already killing my budget =[.

But 500W should be able to power my system, with a 8800GTS, and still have plenty of room for some OC'ing?
Although it does seem like good value, I dislike how it isn't modular =[! Will it keep me futureproofed for future upgrading?

I came in here knowing NOTHING about PSU's, and leave with a lot more knowledge! Giant thanks to mplich! I looked at my other PSU, it had around 19A on the +12V Rail, I am disgusted =(.

From my hard research (nearly all day...) on PSU's, I decided that this was one of the best. 3 x +12V Rails each covering 19A, 19 x 3 = 47, Which seems pretty high! Then has a 500W Continuous output.

Anyone against this decision? I'd like to know, I'm only 16 and am spending very hard earned cash on this =].

Reply soon pl0x! I am desperate to get back on my main computer!

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
You'll have to ask him mate but I am sure he will tell you that as of late several Antec models have failed, some catastrophicaly, due to poor caps and/or poor quality control. On our Asus Independent site we have had 5 SmartPowers fail, 4 of them taking other components with them, in the last 3 months.

We are a relatively small site so the above is a significant number and enough for me to say "Choose another manufacturer." when asked my opinion. I have nothing personal against Antecs but they have become unreliable as of late and I don't recommend them when there are so many other good brands out there.

As always YMMV, but I know what I am seeing and that is irrefutable. If you or mpilchfamily are seeing something else then feel free to recommend Antec but some of their newer units (last 6-8 months or so) are having lots of problems. You can pick and choose the good Antecs, based on when and where they were manufactured but why would you bother with that wehn you can get another unit at the same price and have no worries.

Ouch, yes, you've had some Antec problems for sure.

I don't know if this is a recent change, but a lot of the higher-end Antecs are made by Seasonic (including mine) so hopefully they are better now.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
It's mostly SmartPowers if I remember but there was another model as well. I know Seasonic is building some of them and I don't think they are the problem models but remember, Seasonic is building to a spec provided by Antec. If that spec is low quality then Seasonic will provide a low quality unit (and yes I know Seasonic makes great stuff).

It isn't so much the manufacturer, as the spec that the manufacturer works to, that matters. Seasonic does use good caps but if Antec speicfied something of lower grade then Seasonic will use the lower grade. Their name isn't on it.

I think HardForum has a list f the suspect Antecs (at least they used to) and I am sure mpilchfamily knows more about the problem than me. I am sure he will post here sooner or later and clarify what I am saying with more facts and reasons than I can provide.

Regardless, I just don't trust Antec any longer. I'll pay a little extra for a quality unit and PC P&C specs are very good (I believe Seasonic manufactures PC P& C as well)and their support is 1st class.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Seasonic is building to a spec provided by Antec. If that spec is low quality then Seasonic will provide a low quality unit

It isn't so much the manufacturer, as the spec that the manufacturer works to, that matters. Seasonic does use good caps but if Antec speicfied something of lower grade then Seasonic will use the lower grade. Their name isn't on it.

Good points indeed.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
OK, thanks mpilch for clarifying. Great guide and list BTW. I can't agree on the Enermax liberty and Noisetaker. We have a few guys that are using them as doorstops now (our board owner went through two of them :roll: ) and the Neopowers aren't high on my list either but I'm jaded and a self-admitted PC P&C Fanboi. :D

Have you thought about a "Don't Buy" list?