[SOLVED] PSU switch noise and strange smell.

Apr 18, 2021
Hi guys, my problem is relative to the PSU inside the Razer Core X eGPU enclosure. Basically when I turn the switch on or off it makes an electric sound while I move the switch and once it is in place, on or off, the electic sound stops. I never really tought about it because it always made this sound and everythig was working fine (for 2 years approx.). In case you want to ask "why do you have to switch the PSU off?", the answer is that the Razer Core X PSU fans will run at 100% speed when the laptop is connected but turned off, and the thunderbolt cable or the wall plug are way more complicated to reach and turn on/off multiple times a day.

Now to the actual problem: today I turned on my PSU from the switch but this time the electric sound was continous (maybe the switch got stuck midway?), after 2-3 second a smell came from the PSU, no smoke or flames or anything, just this weird smell (was not a burning smell, but I cannot really describe it). I immediatly put the switch to OFF and after a quick look and after the smell was gone, I tried to swith it ON, this time it did the usual sound while I was moving the switch, but it turned ON normally. The laptop and the GPU are working as usual, even did a stress test and everything was fine. My question is if this situation is dangerous for my laptop or my GPU, if they can be already damaged or will be damaged in the future, thanks.

Solution
Nice to see a head of Twitter's hype division here. /s
it makes an electric sound
Arcing.
weird smell
Ozone.
Just seems like a low quality switch or something, i'm not sure if there are any sort of spark traps in switches this small but the fact that it was continuously arcing suggests that something was off. I guess you can either stop to use that switch, i.e switch the eGPU by pulling out the cord or switching off the surge protectior it's plugged in. Or wait until it wears off completely and then replace it. No other way around.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
it makes an electric sound
Arcing.
weird smell
Ozone.
Just seems like a low quality switch or something, i'm not sure if there are any sort of spark traps in switches this small but the fact that it was continuously arcing suggests that something was off. I guess you can either stop to use that switch, i.e switch the eGPU by pulling out the cord or switching off the surge protectior it's plugged in. Or wait until it wears off completely and then replace it. No other way around.

Solution
Apr 18, 2021
:vip:

Arcing.

Ozone.
Okay thank you very much, I think I'll try to place the laptop better and "switch" to unplugging the tb cable. So do you exclude any damage to GPU or laptop?