[SOLVED] PSU switch stuck at On.

3jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Hello!

My current power supply is as stated above stuck in the "on" switch. It was already like that out of the box; brand new . I know, I should have returned it immediately that time but --- mistakes were made and here I am now.

The thing is, I think its killing my UPS since my ups can't fully boot well. Every time I turn on my UPS it doesn't have time to switch its power either to main or battery (im not sure how it works) but I think its messing up its charging capabilities. Now my UPS is just a glorified surge protector and it wont even stay on for a split second when there are power fluctuations at home. My pc just dies and restarts. Mind you, if there are no fluctuations the PC works totally fine and so as the UPS/PSU.

My main question is, will it be okay to just unplug either the main power cord connecting to the PSU or the main plug connected to the UPS before turning the UPS on.

To make it clear; I would like to --- Turn on UPS -> Plug the cord to UPS - > Turn on PC or will it be safer to Turn on the UPS then plug the cord to the back of the PSU?

Do note that, the PSU switch is stuck at "on" so plugging it to any live source of electricity worries me a lot.

I know, I should just buy a new PSU but I dont have the budget now. Also, im sorry if this questions is confusing :( thank you!

PSU: seasonic 520w m12
UPS: APC backup UPS 625

Solution
Oh, it isn't old at all its practically just a little over a year old. Im just worried if I plug the PC into the UPS (plugged to wall and powered on) -- It will shock my PSU since its stuck in "on".

you know when you plugged something thatch switched on into a wall socket, you get that sparky zap electricity thing.
AFAIK current shouldn't flow when your PSU is at off state, even if the switch is stuck at "ON". So the analogy doesn't work here because the PSU is at an off state.

3jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Doesn't sound like anything to do with the switches. Your UPS should work normally even with the switch stuck on "ON". I'll check that UPS first before I blame the PSU.

It might also be about time to upgrade your old Seasonic PSU.

Oh, it isn't old at all its practically just a little over a year old. Im just worried if I plug the PC into the UPS (plugged to wall and powered on) -- It will shock my PSU since its stuck in "on".

you know when you plugged something thatch switched on into a wall socket, you get that sparky zap electricity thing.

AFAIK current shouldn't flow when your PSU is at off state, even if the switch is stuck at "ON". So the analogy doesn't work here because the PSU is at an off state.

Solution

3jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019

I see, so its safe then? I will plug the power cord into the PSU while its connected to a switched on UPS? because I tried it before and I did still some electric sparks. Because I think this is the main reason my UPS doesn't charge well