PSU Tester/ Problems?

n46krb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hello! I have a cheap tester. It's served me good up until this point, pretty accurate. It's a Thermaltake Dr. Power II

I've got this mini Acer desktop here, Model X1300, takes one of the 'brick' or small 220W PSU's. The system was freezing upon startup, almost immediately when the desktop would load. As soon as the system would load it would freeze. I tested all hardware with diagnostics software. The best diagnostics software. It's used by a huge well known company. And it is good, I use it all the time on a regular basis and it also has never steered me wrong yet. All hardware, everything, came back fine. So I tested the PSU with that tester (the only thing I didn't get at with the diag. software) and it reported a fail on the SATA. Here is what I got:

First when it fired up with the tester, screen on tester was blue and it was showing
5.1 12.0 3.3
+5V +12v +3.3v
--------| [lightning bolt] ------
12.1 5.0 242 pg

24P

I pressed the button the second time (this performs all tests one by one on CPU, sata, 24p,PCIe, etc) and when it got to SATA it said:
5.1 12.0 F
Beeping and a red screen and nothing underneath that.

So I replaced the PSU and it's still giving me the exact same thing. When I did the tests, I had 20p in (didn't plug in the seperate 4pin as this motherboard doesn't take it anyway) and just SATA. I tried it with CPU and all that connected, same thing. So is this another bad PSU or is there something I'm doing wrong? Or what is it that's throwing the SATA part off? Thanks!