Discussion PSU tier list discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just want to welcome all to the tier list discussion thread. We look forward and encourage healthy discussion of new and existing PSU models and the methodology of the list.

Before you post here I'd like to remind everyone that RESPECT IS COMPULSORY here. A ton of work went into the thread and its companion documentation. Please respect the time and dedication of those whom have built it. As well for all this topic seems to create a lot of very strong opinions, this can lead to confrontation. This thread will be watched closely, and should problems arise, they will be dealt with swiftly.

Please also if you have a basic PSU question (What should I buy, how many watts do I need? etc.) please start your own thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

I like to see a thread of this type.

I don't understand why Antec uses the word "classic" in their PSU names.

When I think of something that is "classic" I think of something that is old. Thus the name classic makes me think the PSU is old or something.

Seems like bad marketing.

I like to see a thread of this type.

I don't understand why Antec uses the word "classic" in their PSU names.

When I think of something that is "classic" I think of something that is old. Thus the name classic makes me think the PSU is old or something.

Because it is "classic". They LITERALLY fire up production of something they once made 10 years ago. When Jeremy reviewed the "True Power Classic", he LITERALLY said, "now that's a platform I haven't seen in a long time" when he opened it up.

Seems like bad marketing.

Like when Ford calls an SUV "Limited"? I don't want something that's LIMITED. I want the ULTIMATE! Hand me the keys to that Hyundai Santa Fe.

And "TITANIUM"? There isn't a single titanium panel on that truck. It's not even titanium COLOR!

Reactions: Juular
Because it is "classic". They LITERALLY fire up production of something they once made 10 years ago. When Jeremy reviewed the "True Power Classic", he LITERALLY said, "now that's a platform I haven't seen in a long time" when he opened it up.

Like when Ford calls an SUV "Limited"? I don't want something that's LIMITED. I want the ULTIMATE! Hand me the keys to that Hyundai Santa Fe.

And "TITANIUM"? There isn't a single titanium panel on that truck. It's not even titanium COLOR!
Well, I think of limited as in "limited edition" or exclusivity.

I guess it makes sense in the case of this PSU then.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
How in the world is Armageddon PSUs not on that list? People actually BUY those things, if you can believe it. :D:D:D
Can't really find anything on them except for that one Aris video but i guess it's safe to say that they go to tier E until proven otherwise, will be added in the next revision.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You'd think that "Armageddon" would be enough of a hint that anybody with half a brain would know to avoid them. Then again, I'm pretty sure if somebody DID create a power supply series named "Dumpster fire", somebody would buy those as well.

Look closely at the labels on some of these PSUs. Really sketchy looking stuff. Then think of the prices... too good to be true.

If your food were that cheap and with a sketchy label on it you'd probably run away, but a device that you plug into the wall, that you trust all your personal data to, that in a worst but possible case can end in your house burnt down SURE GIMMIE 2!

(Disclaimer: I am a firefighter and the second actual house fire I went to was caused by a faulty PSU in a desktop PC. Family survived, dog died :( )

So, my first issue with this list is the blanket inclusion of multiple capacity/model for a given series all being lumped together. IMO, that can't happen.

Yes, I realize that it's a lot more work to differentiate between the 550, 650, 750, 850 models, etc., for each series, (Which is why MANY people have begun then quit, working up a list of their own. Including you Jon) but I think that's something you have to do especially since we already KNOW that in many if not most cases, there can be major differences from model to model within the same series. There are VERY good examples of this. I do see that you have SOME done this way, but ALL need to be done this way. Can't do some series one way and some series the other. If there is no evidence that exists for a given model within a series, then, IDK, it doesn't get listed or something. No evidence or hard review should mean no placement on the list. How can you place something in a given spot if you have no evidence to back that placement up? At the very least, verification that a given model has the same platform as a model that DOES have a review, should be prerequisite, and that's being lenient.

Seasonic M12II for example. The 520w and 620w models are group regulated and are an entirely different platform than the 750w and 850w models, which are DC-DC and couldn't reasonably be included on the same tier or considered to be the same type of product as those group regulated parts. EVGA as well. Several of the B3 units Aris tested blew up in testing. One capacity model did not and actually tested out well. There are a variety of examples out there of MANY series from different companies where entirely different platforms are used within the same series, so I think any series that has multiple models at different capacities needs to be considered a unique entry per capacity if any sort of accuracy is to be maintained.

Immediately the E series NZXT units in the very first section of the list come to mind. Aside from the fact that in the review by Aris for the 850w model he clearly states that it is noisy, even in silent mode, has poor transient response on the minor rails, and has some inaccuracies with the software readings. I'm willing to bet that not every capacity model of the NZXT E series turns out the exact same result, they might, but having some evidence of that should be a requirement before simply assuming that they would all be the same because VERY OFTEN they are not.

The fact that the only difference between this unit and the Seasonic SSR-850x it is based off of, is the addition of a digital controller, which by the way Aris says does not improve performance, while the Seasonic SSR-850x itself is entirely missing from the Tier A, suggests the bias against Seasonic that has been pretty evident on this list since it's inception. Might want to address that as well as the blanket lumping of models into one listing as though different capacities didn't perform differently, have some minor different implementations or entirely different platforms in some cases.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
You'd think that "Armageddon" would be enough of a hint that anybody with half a brain would know to avoid them. Then again, I'm pretty sure if somebody DID create a power supply series named "Dumpster fire", somebody would buy those as well.

Names are funny though.

If one was told nothing about power supplies and was asked to pick what the cheapest junk is just based on name, I would think "Super Flower" would have a high chance of being picked. Or maybe Sparkle? You really don't want your PSU to sparkle!

How does the Kolink Continuum C-PL 1500w land on Tier A, when the JG review said it didn't have outstanding voltage regulation (And ANY Tier A unit SHOULD have great voltage regulation) and Aris said:

• Noisy
  • Hold-up time
  • 5VSB turn-on transient
  • Load regulation on the minor rails
  • 3.3V rail's transient response
  • Many cables can be connected to non-electrically compatible sockets
  • No power switch
  • No power cord included (there will be the option to buy one along with the PSU though)
That doesn't look like a Tier A unit to me. That looks like a Tier C, or at BEST, a Tier B unit, to me.

Can't really find anything on them except for that one Aris video but i guess it's safe to say that they go to tier E until proven otherwise, will be added in the next revision.

Here's another: https://www.mstronics.com/p/5038/armaggeddon-voltron-gold-475-rgb-gaming-power-supply.html

Not actually "80 PLUS Gold". Just has "Gold" in the name. :D

Note that they consider 170V-240V input as "extended voltage". LOLOLOL!!!

And they do the same with "Platinum". It's not actually 80 PLUS Platinum. They just like the word "Platinum": https://www.mstronics.com/p/11861/a...w-gaming-modular-psu.html?cPath=294_1199_1280

Looks like an exact rip off of an RM or HX. Wonder if Type 4 cables work in it!!! LOLOL!

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Names are funny though.

If one was told nothing about power supplies and was asked to pick what the cheapest junk is just based on name, I would think "Super Flower" would have a high chance of being picked. Or maybe Sparkle? You really don't want your PSU to sparkle!
Well, they'd mostly be on point with Sparkle. I think they've had ONE unit, ever, that wasn't a pile of crap.

Can't really find anything on them except for........

And that is when, as a matter of course, you put them in a category of "unknown/untested" or in cases where it's clear that they are a POS, just put them in either your lowest tier or a qualifier like I have at the bottom of my recommendations list that simply says don't use this companies units, if they are all like that.

Reactions: Barty1884

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Here's another: https://www.mstronics.com/p/5038/armaggeddon-voltron-gold-475-rgb-gaming-power-supply.html

Not actually "80 PLUS Gold". Just has "Gold" in the name. :D

Note that they consider 170V-240V input as "extended voltage". LOLOLOL!!!

And they do the same with "Platinum". It's not actually 80 PLUS Platinum. They just like the word "Platinum": https://www.mstronics.com/p/11861/a...w-gaming-modular-psu.html?cPath=294_1199_1280

Looks like an exact rip off of an RM or HX. Wonder if Type 4 cables work in it!!! LOLOL!

Maybe they measure watts and grade using the metric system :LOL:

Reactions: Lutfij
Status
Not open for further replies.