[SOLVED] Psu to gpu confusion

Dec 28, 2021
Hey guys,I'm building my first rig and come into a bit of a issue and wondering if any of you know the solution.
I have a zotac rtx 3070ti trinity oc and a msi mpg 750w gold psu, my problem is the gpu requires 310w which from the psu manual means I need to use sockets vga1, vga 1 and vga2 (so 3 cables) but my gpu only has 2 sockets. Any ideas ?

Hey guys,I'm building my first rig and come into a bit of a issue and wondering if any of you know the solution.
I have a zotac rtx 3070ti trinity oc and a msi mpg 750w gold psu, my problem is the gpu requires 310w which from the psu manual means I need to use sockets vga1, vga 1 and vga2 (so 3 cables) but my gpu only has 2 sockets. Any ideas ?
You use two 8pin (150watt each) from the PSU 75watts come from the PCIe slot.

Reactions: Inneedofhelp093

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The video card only needs 2 cables vga 1 &2

That's why it only has 2 connectors.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh I did not realise the PCIe slot provides aswell, I'm guessing it will only take what it needs in this case and not a full 65watts more than recommended?
The amount of power a single 8 pin connector that people say is 150 watts is very misleading.

8 pin connector has 3 positive 12 volt a 6 pin has either 2 or 3 depending on the design.

150 watts is not a set number it depends on the gauge of wire and the length of the wire.

You might find this good reading.
https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/psu-cables.html