[SOLVED] PSU to GPU in Parelle?

Kalshion

Prominent
Dec 29, 2019
So a friend of mine bought me a PSU recently to replace the one in my system (bought me a 1200 watt, to replace my 850 watt, for the incoming 3k card) and was told by him to connect them in parallel. Thing is, I've read up on mixed threads elsewhere that this can create a fire-hazard and damage the system, while others claim that if done right it'll reduce the amount of power the system uses. Not to mention, I actually don't know how to do this in a computer (I can wire a circuit this way, but this is a bit more complex in my opinion)

I have no idea which is true (well, I'm sure the fire-hazard one is, but......) so can some of our resident experts here please educate me on this?

Solution
So a friend of mine bought me a PSU recently to replace the one in my system (bought me a 1200 watt, to replace my 850 watt, for the incoming 3k card) and was told by him to connect them in parallel. Thing is, I've read up on mixed threads elsewhere that this can create a fire-hazard and damage the system, while others claim that if done right it'll reduce the amount of power the system uses. Not to mention, I actually don't know how to do this in a computer (I can wire a circuit this way, but this is a bit more complex in my opinion)

I have no idea which is true (well, I'm sure the fire-hazard one is, but......) so can some of our resident experts here please educate me on this?

To be perfectly honest -- and absolutely...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

To be perfectly honest -- and absolutely blunt -- I don't think your friend has the slightest clue what he's talking about and the advice given by him in this case is so incomptent that I'd urge not listening to him on this stuff ever again. Current-sharing doesn't really have any consumer application in a normal desktop PC, and it smacks a bit of someone who read a general concept but didn't really understand it.

Run one PSU in your PC. The other advice seems to be flawed as well; so long as you didn't have a junk 850W PSU -- they do exist -- there was no need to upgrade to a 1200W PSU.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
and was told by him to connect them in parallel
To add to the "No" comments...No.

• Unless you really know what you're doing, it is quite easy to release the magic smoke.
  • 1200 + 850 = 2050. What could possibly need that much?
  • And if it did need that much, you can't run it on a normal US house circuit. You'd pop the circuit breaker.

Stuff like this needs to be backed up with facts from the claimant. "OK, friend. Where did you get this info, and how, exactly, do you do it? Please show me with your parts first, before I risk mine."

"I heard..." can be a very dangerous concept.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
To add to the "No" comments...No.

• Unless you really know what you're doing, it is quite easy to release the magic smoke.
  • 1200 + 850 = 2050. What could possibly need that much?
  • And if it did need that much, you can't run it on a normal US house circuit. You'd pop the circuit breaker.
Stuff like this needs to be backed up with facts from the claimant. "OK, friend. Where did you get this info, and how, exactly, do you do it? Please show me with your parts first, before I risk mine."

"I heard..." can be a very dangerous concept.

I'm just gobsmacked by the suggestion this friend gave. It's like telling someone that if they're low on breakfast cereal they should purchase a controlling interest in The Kellogg Company, and have all the breakfast cereal they want. Sure, you can do it, but it's not exactly a good solution to running out of Rice Krispies. Instead of, you know, buying an extra box at the grocery store every week.