[SOLVED] psu turn on issue

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
hi

i have an "XFX" XTR 750w atx psu (fully modular).
when i hit the power button ,it does not turn on, i would have to lean around the back of the case and flick the I/O switch a few time to get it to power on. when the computer was on, there was no issues, no power outs, or unexpected shut downs or anything..

does anyone know how to solve this issue..

im currently using a 700w non modular psu. ,but i would love to go back to using the XFX psu. as before it had that issue it was great.

it did this on 3 different motherboards. so i know its the psu, as i changed back to a non modular 700w psu and they all powered on as normal. no issues.

i hope someone can help me with this.

Solution
The psu is hanging up. There are built in protections in the psu to protect it and the pc from power spikes after a power loss, part of this is 'hold up' time, which is generally around 20ms. So when the psu detects power loss, it's not an instant shutoff, you've got @ 20ms of power remaining in the caps before all the switches reset and shut down the psu. The issue it seems you are facing is the switches are not resetting and are holding the psu in 'standby' until you spike it enough by resetting the power switch in the back a few times.

There is No fix for this, it's a 9ish year old psu and well past any expected usable lifespan (warranty was 5 years, that's the expected lifespan basically).

The only workaround is to never...

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
i bought it still sealed 2 years ago.
i did not know it was originally 9 years old. (i though modular psu were only more recent). if its not worth fixing, i will dump it. and get a new psu in january sales.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The psu is hanging up. There are built in protections in the psu to protect it and the pc from power spikes after a power loss, part of this is 'hold up' time, which is generally around 20ms. So when the psu detects power loss, it's not an instant shutoff, you've got @ 20ms of power remaining in the caps before all the switches reset and shut down the psu. The issue it seems you are facing is the switches are not resetting and are holding the psu in 'standby' until you spike it enough by resetting the power switch in the back a few times.

There is No fix for this, it's a 9ish year old psu and well past any expected usable lifespan (warranty was 5 years, that's the expected lifespan basically).

The only workaround is to never shutdown the psu, but any power loss of any length of time longer than the holdup time will result in needing to fiddle the switch and reset the internal switching.

Solution

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020

The only workaround is to never shutdown the psu, but any power loss of any length of time longer than the holdup time will result in needing to fiddle the switch and reset the internal switching.

ive not been using it for about 3 months, the issued happen after a power cut back in sept 2021. i went back to a non modular 700w psu for now. i will throw this one away(take to electical dump), and buy a new psu in january sales.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
i contacted the company. they officially closed down, during covid. so i cant hence why i was wondering if it was fixable, or something i was doing wrong. but i will buy a new one in a few weeks. in the sales..

the shop bought it from "overclockers" online, i contacted them and they just said " try new cables" and offered to sell me a new set of mod cables for £100+ i said NO (i could get the same cables for 1/3 of the price they were asking.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Afaik, the XTR has been discontinued for some time, although there are still quite a few stockpiled new units available. It's based on the really old Seasonic G series. The newer version, XTR2, is based on the Seasonic Focus+ Gold.

You gotta know it's old when it's claim to fame was Haswell Ready. That's 4th Gen Intel back in 2014. At the time, it was a really decent unit, but by today's standards it's pretty mediocre.

Whatever gpu/cpu you are using will tell you what size you really need, and that can make a huge difference in pricing.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
Afaik, the XTR has been discontinued for some time, although there are still quite a few stockpiled new units available. It's based on the really old Seasonic G series. The newer version, XTR2, is based on the Seasonic Focus+ Gold.

You gotta know it's old when it's claim to fame was Haswell Ready. That's 4th Gen Intel back in 2014. At the time, it was a really decent unit, but by today's standards it's pretty mediocre.

Whatever gpu/cpu you are using will tell you what size you really need, and that can make a huge difference in pricing.

im running a 1050ti (no gpu cables), as i sold my old Titan x, and have been waiting for my 2060 to arrive since end of november, (i've nicked the nvidia 1050ti out of my wifes computer until my new card arrives,(she has a ryzen 3 3200g, so is ok with onboard graphics,,and was not using the computer)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so a good 550w is all you need for most Ryzen and Intel, if you have the top line stuff add another 100w. You'd only need a 750w if pushing OC on a xx900K cpu.

I'm running a full custom loop, OC 3700x and 2070Super on a 600w Platinum Corsair SFX, just for reference and the only time the fan spins up is during boot otherwise it doesn't get warm enough to run.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
1 week before christmas i was running intel i5 11400 with coolermaster AIO and 32gb ddr 3200 ram, and my wife nvidia 1050ti.. on the 700w psu..

but i sold the i5 11400 cpu, and went back to my backup board and cpu.. ryzen 7 2700 x and the nvidia 1050ti.. 3200 ddr4 3200 (running at 2666mhz).. (my wife has her ryzen 3 3200 in the bedroom for her stuff).