Question PSU turning off after seconds, issue source?

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
Hi, I did a search on this but the few threads that sounded generally relevant were not specifically about this issue, so I thought I'd open this one.

Issue: My PSU turns off after a couple of seconds of running after I turn it on. The fan starts spinning, and then the whole component shuts down.

Details: This happened today, after about five years of using this PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W, rated at 80 Plus Gold) without issues.

The only things I changed in the system about two weeks ago are:
  1. a new PC case
  2. the power strip the PSU is connected into (replaced a standard five-slot strip with a similar one)
  3. the PSU-to-strip fork adapter
The latter says "250V~" on it, while the power grid in my country is 220V, but I think this 250 is the maximum voltage and could not have caused the issue? The PSU fork (which doesn't directly go into power sockets here, hence why I've had to use adapters for these five years) says "125V", but the info panel on the PSU itself says "220-240V". And as I said, I've never had any issue with it until now.

So does this mean something has killed the PSU, or can there be something in the motherboard that is causing the shutdown? How can I test this?

System specs are in signature below.

Thanks in advance.

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
You can simply test your system with another PSU.

Sometimes a loose component could also trigger a PSU shutdown.
Thank you, the only other PSU I have access to is one in a very old PC, but I'll check if I can use it for testing this later. I will also check components and cables - I don't think I left anything loose after assembling the system in the new case, but will make sure.

Tornik

Honorable
Feb 16, 2017
So I couldn't test the other PSU as it's super old and has a shorter power connector that goes into the motherboard. What I did manage to do was, I have another motherboard to which I connected the PSU I'm having the issue with, and the same exact thing happened there. I only used the PSU power connector and the Power Switch and Power LED pins for the F panel to do the test on the other MB - no other connectors, no CPU and no RAM was in the motherboard . Is the result of the test valid and does it confirm the issue is with the PSU?