Question Psu turns on and then

Feb 13, 2020
So I plugged my pc from the mobo hdmi slot to a tv and as soon as I do that, the psu cuts out and the fans spin for about a second and it stops. I pull out the psu and decide to do a paper clip test with the psu. When I turn on the power for it, the fan moves for about a second then stops. Is my psu dead?
Specs are:
B450M pro
Ryzen 5 2600
Team t-force dark 16gb
Sun bow 2.5” ssd
cooler master nr400
Gtx 1650 super
Corsair cx550m 80+bronze (semi)

Last edited:
Very confusing text to read but i think what you're implying is that when you turn your pc on your psu turns on for a second and shuts down? No other fans spin or nothing?

This sounds like something is short circuiting your psu so it turns off. Check that all cables are securely plugged in by just unplugging everything and putting all back on again.

Also are you plugging your hdmi to your motherboards hdmi port? Don't do that because your cpu doesnt have an igpu. Plug your hdmi straight into your GPU instead and you might get a picture :D

Feb 13, 2020
Very confusing text to read but i think what you're implying is that when you turn your pc on your psu turns on for a second and shuts down? No other fans spin or nothing?

This sounds like something is short circuiting your psu so it turns off. Check that all cables are securely plugged in by just unplugging everything and putting all back on again.

Also are you plugging your hdmi to your motherboards hdmi port? Don't do that because your cpu doesnt have an igpu. Plug your hdmi straight into your GPU instead and you might get a picture :D

Haha, I read that you should plug the hdmi straight to the gpu after I plugged the hdmi cable in the mobo. The stock fans included spin or turn on for half a second before shutting down like the psu. Idk why the mobo isn’t receiving any power from either the 24pin connector or 8pin cpu power cable. Can a hdmi cable out into the wrong position really fry the mobo?

Chris_2711

Commendable
Aug 18, 2019
When you did the paperclip test, did your power supply do the same thing where it cuts itself off?

Cause I had a problem where my rig fans turns on for a second then shuts off immediately. I tried the paper clip test where I connected the green and the a black cable with a paperclip, I stayed on. I checked the voltage output and was good. So I checked the RAM Motherboard and Graphics Card and did the same thing. When I swapped out my CPU, it started working fine again. Maybe you had a bad cpu or bent the pins of the CPU. Try the paperclip test again with your PSU. Make sure you are connecting the correct cables.

Chris_2711

Commendable
Aug 18, 2019
Haha, I read that you should plug the hdmi straight to the gpu after I plugged the hdmi cable in the mobo. The stock fans included spin or turn on for half a second before shutting down like the psu. Idk why the mobo isn’t receiving any power from either the 24pin connector or 8pin cpu power cable. Can a hdmi cable out into the wrong position really fry the mobo?
No it can't short out the motherboard. The cable only sends power video and sound to the monitor
The only way you can really short it out is if you weren't static free and touched the PCB of the motherboard which can be pretty bad. But even so, b450 motherboards have ESD protection so there really is no way you could short out the motherboard.

Chris_2711

Commendable
Aug 18, 2019
CPU on the other hard could be short out if you had a build up of electrostatic charge (by mother a lot, most common source/cause) and you touched any metallic material on the cpu.

Feb 13, 2020
When you did the paperclip test, did your power supply do the same thing where it cuts itself off?

Cause I had a problem where my rig fans turns on for a second then shuts off immediately. I tried the paper clip test where I connected the green and the a black cable with a paperclip, I stayed on. I checked the voltage output and was good. So I checked the RAM Motherboard and Graphics Card and did the same thing. When I swapped out my CPU, it started working fine again. Maybe you had a bad cpu or bent the pins of the CPU. Try the paperclip test again with your PSU. Make sure you are connecting the correct cables.
I have, I did it so many times i lost track. The psu turns on and off like I said, clearly drawing some power but the whole pc wouldn’t power on normally, everything just kind of turns on for a second then off

Chris_2711

Commendable
Aug 18, 2019
I have, I did it so many times i lost track. The psu turns on and off like I said, clearly drawing some power but the whole pc wouldn’t power on normally, everything just kind of turns on for a second then off
How old is your PSU? Did you buy it recently along with the other components? If so, was it already doing that behaviour when you first opened the box and tested it?

If the answer is yes, you simply got a bad PSU batch and will have to RMA it