Question PSU upgrade 750w -> 1000w EVGA

Sep 2, 2019
I'm trying to troubleshoot multiple BSOD, and application crashes on a new x570 Strix ROG E, 32MB Ballistic 3600 RAM, 3900x AMD CPU, and 2080TI build, with a 12TB SATA and two 2GB M.2 drives. The computer does not crash consistently, so troubleshooting has been challenging. According to power supply calculators 750 should be sufficient, I don't actually think it's the PSU, but worth a try.

I purchased a new 1000w non-modular from EVGA and everything appears to be receiving power. But the monitors won't boot.

I'm realizing now I may have made a fatal mistake. I utilized the same SATA cord for both the 750w and the 1000w, and when it wouldn't boot on the 1000w, I reinstalled the 750w, and it won't boot with this PSU either. It does appear that all components have power. How do I check to see what/if things got fried?

Last edited:

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Yeah...So here's the thing...WHAT MODEL "ЄVGA 750W" and WHAT MODEL "ЄVGA 1000W"?? I ask this because ЄVGA does not manufacture ANY of it's own PSUs!! So, while you should ABSOLUTELY NOT ReUSE MODULAR CABLES BETWEEN BRANDS and it is "generally" not a good idea to "reuse" modular cables within specific brands...some ЄVGA models (G2, G3, P2, P3 - all made by SuperFLOWER) the cables are electrically compatible. But, BETWEEN some series (GQ, G2/P2/T2 , GS) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ''ReUSE" ANY CABLES!! When changing out a PSU, MOST ESPECIALLY a modular one...
1.) CUT POWER and wait 20 minutes;
2.) REMOVE THE PSU;
3.) GUT THE BOX OF ALL MODULAR CABLES;
4.) PUT THIS ALL SOMEWHERE (ANYWHERE BUT WHERE YOU ARE WORKING!);
5.) Finally, OPEN, INSPECT AND INSTALL new PSU and new modular cables!
Unfortunately, at this point, you probably cooked some or all components and/or both PSU(s).
Most likely you fed 12V into the 3.3V or 5V on the SATA.
You will need to DISCONNECT EVERYTHING and use a ''PSU Tester'', or IF you know how..."jump start" the PSU and do a pin-by-pin check for voltage with a DMM.
IF the PSU(s) test good, then connect ONLY the Mobo and CPU (run only On-Board video at this juncture)
If no on-board, then run a "basic" Video Card (No 6/8-pin PCIe)
If no basic, then hook up your video card, but only with a KNOWN PCIe CABLE FROM THAT PSU...AND CHECK FOR OUTPUT VOLTAGES AT THE PROPER PINS BEFORE CONNECTING!
If it POSTS, then you have a test bench to test the other components. (HDD, SSD, DVD, BD, etc)!
GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: moarri
I purchased a new 1000w non-modular from EVGA and everything appears to be receiving power. But the monitors won't boot.

I'm realizing now I may have made a fatal mistake. I utilized the same SATA cord for both the 750w and the 1000w,

How can you use the same SATA cable if the PSU is non-modular?

I think you meant "semi-modular"?

Yeah.... EVGA PSUs are made by a plethora of different OEMs and EVGA doesn't define the pinout of the modular interfaces. They just take off the shelf solutions and slap their label on them. So if your 750W was made by one OEM, say Super Flower, for example, and the 1000W was made by another OEM, say FSP, for example, then the cables aren't going to be pin compatible and you just fried your PC.

Reactions: moarri