Question PSU upgrade advice

Oct 8, 2019
First of all, let me fill you in with my system specs.
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
Memory: 2x 8GB, possibly 2x 16GB soon.
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Drives: 2x SSD, 4x HDD 7200rpm (SATA)
Extra: 3x VR sensors + VR headset on USB

My CPU is overclocked to 4.8 Ghz at 1.24V at this time, I may consider pushing it a bit further as far as air cooling will allow me to safely.

All of this is powered by a Cooler Master V650S from 2014 (80 Plus Gold), which is running totally fine.

Now, my GPU is up for replacement and I will be getting a GeForce RTX 2070 Super from either the MSI Gaming X Trio series, or Gigabyte Aorus. The later already runs at 1900 Mhz, I might attempt to push it a little higher too, within air cooling limits.
It will be feeding picture to 2x 1080p monitors as well as a VR headset, in case this matters on power consumption. I might consider 1440p higher refresh rate monitors in the near future.

I've run my current specs with the new GPU through Outervision PSU calculator, and it gives me the following conclusion:
Load Wattage: 598 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1250 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 648 W

That seems rather tight to me, especially when wanting to keep some head room for future upgrades (CPU possibly next) and some overclocking (CPU towards 5 Ghz, GPU towards 2 Ghz, give or take). And yet, many people tell me it is enough and I will never reach these values.

So my first question is: do you guys feel I'm better/safer upgrading my CM V650S (Gold), or should it be well enough?

In case upgrading should be the wiser decision, my second question would be for some help picking a good PSU?
I'm guessing 750W should be enough, although 850W is barely more expensive in my region so unless there's a clear disadvantage, I might go for that.
Some options that I've read good reviews about and consider with a (somewhat flexible) budget of max 150 are:
Corsair RMx (2018 version) - relatively cheap compared to others, yet I see it score very highly on majority of reviews.
Corsair HX (2017 version) - not sure what this PSU offers more aside from Platinum certificate and multiple rails, so I'm not sure if it's worth considering in my case.

I'm not biased towards Corsair, I've just read a lot of good reviews and their prices are very good too.
I know there's many other good brands, but on most, I came across some issues that made me hold back a bit.
Seasonic Focus Gold (2019 successor of Focus Plus) - while I'm aware that Seasonic has a big name as a brand, I've read various reports of certain Focus series causing compatibility issues with high end graphics cards, and the ripple being relatively large compared to some others. I found no clear evidence of this being fully resolved.
Seasonic Prime - probably great, but a bit above my budget unless I can be convinced they're a lot better than others.
Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 - seems a good choice too, yet I read the fan curves are aggressive, making it noisy on load, and they only offer half the warranty period.
EVGA - probably good too, still reading a lot of reports about fan spool up noise.

Sorry for so much text, I've been doing my research yet still find myself a bit stuck on a final conclusion, and come across a lot of info on the net that seems biased towards certain brands.
I'm open for all input I can get!

Oct 8, 2019
Thanks, that clears up my worries with the Outervision values. I just hope the PSU won't be pushed to 95% of its load all the time after the GPU upgrade, but I'd probably notice that from its fan activity.

What exactly do you mean by less reliable with age? Are we talking voltage drops? Ripples becoming unstable? The entire PSU failing? And what sort of age are we talking about? It's a unit from 2014 (just out of its 5 years warranty now) and it's running for about 12 hours a day, of which only a few per day (3-4 average) under heavy load from VR games + streaming, or heavy 3D rendering applications.

Oct 8, 2019
I guess we were wrong. My V650 clearly couldn't handle the RTX 2070 Super. Crashed pretty fast, and with the old 1060 it runs fine again.

I think I'll go for the Corsair RMx (2018), unless someone changes my mind about it.
(decent quality psu under 150, I feel no need to go for Platinum or high priced premium models)

Seasonic Focus Gold (2019 successor of Focus Plus) - while I'm aware that Seasonic has a big name as a brand, I've read various reports of certain Focus series causing compatibility issues with high end graphics cards, and the ripple being relatively large compared to some others.

I'm a huge fan of the Corsair, but the Focus is a good PSU. I prefer the Corsair RMx but I wouldn't avoid the Focus. If you find a good price, pull the trigger.

The alleged "ripple" issue is a fabrication. A couple of 20 year old wannabe PSU experts on another forum started that nonsense. They didn't understand how to interpret an overload test and they refuse to listen to anyone who tries to correct them.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Oct 8, 2019
Ohh... yeah that stuff happens in the online life I guess.
If I can't go wrong with either one, I'll probably go Corsair since it's slightly cheaper in my region.
Thanks for the advice!

[edit] Hmmm maybe the 2017 Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold is an option too, it's on sale here right now for the same price as the new RMx and Focus Gold, that looks like an interesting deal :D

Last edited: