Question PSU upgrade for HP Prodesk G2 400 Microtower ?

Jan 6, 2021
Hello
I bought HP Prodesk 400 G2 Microtower with these specs:
  • Core i5-4570
  • 8GB DDR3 RAM (2x4GB)
  • HP Motherboard (785906-001)
  • 500GB HDD
  • 240GB SSD
  • HP 180w PSU (759769-001)
(everything is fully functional)

So i wanted to put in new GPU: GTX 1650 Super and PSU: GIGABYTE P450B.
I connect everything, plug in AC. (HP MoBo has standard 4-pin and 24-pin connector)
After switching new PSU on computer starts by itself. CPU and PSU fans starts to spin and then computer turns itself off after 3 seconds followed by 4 beeping sounds from PCs front panel and blinking power button.
So I took out the GIGABYTE PSU and tested in another PC and it works.
I put back Original HP 180w PSU and PC booted normally.
I also tried to connect GTX 1650 Super with Original 180w HP PSU via SATA to 6-pin adapter and it works. It can handle games with no problem despite it requires at least 300w PSU.
So i dissasembled PC again, disconected everything from MoBo. Removed ram stick, CMOS battery and resetted it with onboard button.
Then I connected again the GIGABYTE PSU and the problem persists. PC wont boot up with this Gigabyte PSU despite it works good in another PC.
When I connect Original HP 180w PSU everything is running normally again.
Is there anything more I can do ? Maybe change some OEM specific BIOS power Settings ?

Im open to any advice.
----------------------------------------------------------------
sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
That PSU should work fine. Were all the connections seated properly?

For Prodesk G1: (From a PDF on HP's site)

Page 210:

Activity:
Red Power LED flashes four times, once every second, followed by a two second pause. Beeps stop after fifth iteration but LEDs continue until problem is solved.

Beeps:

Possible Cause:
Power failure (power supply is overloaded).

Recommended Action:
1. Open the hood and ensure the 4 or 6-wire power supply cable is seated into the connector on the system board.

2. Check if a device is causing the problem by removing ALL attached devices (such as hard, diskette, or optical drives, and expansion cards). Power on the system. If the system enters the POST, then power off and replace one device at a time and repeat this procedure until failure occurs. Replace the device that is causing the failure. Continue adding devices one at a time to ensure all devices are functioning properly.

3. Replace the power supply.

4. Replace the system board

Reactions: Weird_Mushroom
Jan 6, 2021
Yes all connections were seated properly.

I tried another aftermarket PSU FORTRON ATX-300PNR 300W and it booted up!
This PSU is very old and has leaked capacitors but it still works.
I have no Idea why GIGABYTE P450B doesn't work with this HP OEM PC.

Reactions: AntonyLovric

TRENDING THREADS