[SOLVED] PSU Upgrade needed?

Jul 24, 2019
So I'm thinking of slapping a RX 570 inside an old acer aspire tc-220 (amd a10-7800, 8gb ram, ) which is currently running on an 320w power supply, do you guys think I'll need to upgrade it or can i stick with it for now? If not, can a 1050ti work?

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

If you want an RX 570, you'd want at least a good quality 400/450W really.

The main problem with those towers is the PSUs they have with them are notoriously poor quality, so frankly whatever GPU you have, you'd want to consider an upgrade anyway, to prevent instability or risk to your components.

A 1050 ti would be more suitable, but the same point above applies, but the RX570 is a more significant improvement over the 1050 ti.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

If you want an RX 570, you'd want at least a good quality 400/450W really.

The main problem with those towers is the PSUs they have with them are notoriously poor quality, so frankly whatever GPU you have, you'd want to consider an upgrade anyway, to prevent instability or risk to your components.

A 1050 ti would be more suitable, but the same point above applies, but the RX570 is a more significant improvement over the 1050 ti.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And I wouldn't even be positive it's even actually a 320W PSU in the post-Pentium III sense; Acer tends to use really cheap OEM PSUs in their entry-level Aspires. So it's unlikely to be something like a Delta, which you tend to see in higher-end company pre-builts and more likely something like LiteOn or ACBel. And in that case, I may be something a 240W PSU because of the flaccid +12V rail and sometimes even worse.

Reactions: PC Tailor