Psu upgrade or dead gpu??

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
I was recently given a TitanX as an incredible birthday present, when I plugged my 970 in to use as a physX card, I kept getting the 'code 43' warning in hardware window. I've reinstalled drivers, reinstalled windows, updated bios, sworn and shouted at it, all to no avail. The only options left are....a) I need to get a bigger psu (the option I want) or b) my 970's shot. Any advice or help greatly appreciated and received

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Not 100% till I open my case in the morning, I know it's be quiet, but the shop I bought my case from just installed it for me, I will check in the morning and let you know

Sounds good. When you find the model let me know and we'll see what's what. I can tell you right of the bat, although BeQuiet has some good products, very few of their power supplies are among them. They do have a few series that are quite good though.

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
So....this is my set up

i7 4970k
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
24gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz
Gtx TitanX
Gtx 970 (PhysX)
BeQuiet System Power7 (model#...BQ SU7-700W)

Hope this helps my friend

I'll guess you've already tried the obvious: Run with just the 970 in the main PCI-E slot to confirm it's OK, then run with just the TitanX in the main slot, if they both run OK then it's really down to the PSU or a possible configuration setting in the motherboard BIOS.

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Guess all you like my friend, for I sir, am a moron!!! I haven't tried that as I don't really want to touch the titan, a Lil weary now and don't want to break anything else....but, after taking out the 970, cleaning the pcie slot out and reinstalling it, I disabled the titan and the 970 was fine, when I enabled the titan again, sure enough, code43 on the 970 again.....infuriating at the very least

Please, do not insult yourself.
That is why we are here. ;)

All sarcasm aside, you've done exactly what I suggested, just in a different way, and it does look increasingly like the PSU is the culprit because you now know the '970 and its PCI-E slot are working correctly.
Try running through the motherboard manual, maybe there's some setting that needs to be changed for dual cards?

BTW, do you really need a GTX 970 for PhysX, or are you just trying to make my poor little R9 290 feel inferior? ;)

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Lol, moron was being polite.

I'm running both the titan and 750ti now, no problems, and as far as I can see, everything's good and correct with the mobo. As for the latter, probably not, but I only bought the 970 4-5 months ago and can't let it go, twas my first proper upgrade so kinda sentimental lol......may I also state, just in case new comers want to get bolshy, I'm a graphic designer/illustrator as well as a gamer, so being given a Titan was amazing as I can now run Ps, illustrator, manga studio, all 600dpi plus, with no lag!!!! Freaking awesome...running most games maxed isvpretty cool too though lol

Ok, here's the deal. That PSU is not a great unit to start with. No reputable reviews and no reviews of that particular model. Usually, almost always, when there are no reviews of a unit from a well known brand it's because it's either too new, or not worth reviewing due to it's poor quality. There are a few foreign (Non-English) reviews of two other models in that series and they're both below average meaning probably a low tier 3 or a tier 4 unit which is well below what would be recommended for use with a single gaming card, much less two.

The 750 TI draws much less power than the 970, so the fact that the system works with that card being used in tandem with the Titan does not necessarily represent a failed 970. Aside from the unit being low quality, it's also underpowered. For a Titan and GTX 970 being used in tandem, it would be advisable to at least have an 850w Tier 1 or 2 unit, and most preferably a 900w or greater unit since the Titan calls for a 600w unit by itself, and with the 970 a 500w or larger unit is recommended.

Unlike in SLI where the second card probably wont' draw much until it's needed, and the power requirements are almost never a sum of both cards independent power requirements, dual independent cards need to have, for the most part, a PSU that's capable of meeting the total sum of the two cards recommended power requirements. You are grossly underpowered for those two cards, especially with a lower tiered unit like that BQ System power.

PSU Tier list: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

^ Think that just about wraps this up.
Be prepared for a fair expense with the PSU upgrade; It'll need 4 6+2 PCI-E leads so you'll be looking at 800 Watts or so, not for the power, but for the leads.
Right now the affluence of incahol is dulling my already dull brian...Sorry, brain so I'll just suggest about 800Watts (no real need to go over that) from a good maker like: Antec, Corsair (not the CX or VS series), Silverstone, Seasonic (probably the current Gold Standard along with Superflower), XFX Pro Series, FSP Aurium series or the EVGA Supernova series.

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Brilliant!! Thank you for the advice and link. Both of you guys, plus the little bit I've done today have been incredibly helpful. Still really new to all this so I am truly grateful for the help. Are there any on that list which you'd recommend or is it a case of they're all pretty good in the gold and above tiers

Gold, silver, etc., is 80plus efficiency. I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to that as it has no bearing on quality or reliability. IF it is a model listed in a position of Tier 1 or 2, and I mean model, EXACT model, not series or brand, then it's a good unit. EVGA, XFX and Antec units listed in a Tier 1 or 2 position are likely to be your best bet for a combination of quality and price.

For EVGA, you want B2, G2, P2 or V series units which are made by Super Flower. No B1, W1 or G1 NEX units.

Pretty much any XFX unit is good as they are all Seasonic built units anyhow.

For the Antec units, check the tier list. The High current gamer series, True power classic and Neo Eco series units are all pretty good.

This is the minimum I'd try to go with, which may or may not work since it really doesn't meet the capacity requirements of both cards:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-09 16:53 EDT-0400

And the this is the least expensive model that should definitely be of high enough quality and capacity:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $154.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-09 16:56 EDT-0400

If you can afford that, it's an outstanding unit. It's probably more expensive than an equivalent EVGA unit based on the same Leadex platform though.

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Think I'm gonna go with the SuperFlower, found it for £139.99 Inc delivery, around the same price as the 1050w evga mentioned above. Might be overkill, but would sooner be safe then sorry.

Thank you again for the advice and guidance, will leave strand open and let you both know what happens....stay tuned

Kernowarrior

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Soooo, new psu is an absolute beast, awesome in fact, that's the good news out the way, bad news, same problem...nooooo!

Pci slot 1- TitanX
Works fine

Pci slot 1- gtx 970
Works fine

Pci slot 1- TitanX
Pci slot 2- gtx 750ti
Works fine

Pci slot 1- TitanX
Pci slot 2- gtx 970
Code 43 on 970
Doesn't work!!!

Going stir crazy here?!?!?

That's more than slightly annoying, the symptoms suggest a power issue. :(
You're in the UK, right? If you purchased off the 'net, consider returning the new PSU under the revised Distance Selling Regulations, you have, as I recall 14 days to do so, no need to give a reason.
Bad news is I'm as stumped as you now, looks like you've already done everything to get the system working all I can now suggest is you contact Nvidia, either through their user Forums or try to send a support E-mail directly to their tech people.