PSU very small buzzing noise

Stefanos_A

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I have a PSU MASTERWATT 500W +80PlusWhite with 85% efficiency.It has started doing a buzzing noise stopping and starting again other times, or doing it continuesly when I play games.This buzzing noise you can here it only if you put your ear near the psu you ll hear it.It does not bother me because I cannot hear it from being next to the tower.Please help me

Sedivy

Estimable
It could be the fan ball bearing going, or it could be coil whine. This is a good example of what coil whine on a psu sounds like (turn up the volume):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dHjbUmJ1o

Ball bearing on a fan going is more grindy lower pitched noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th81Tmj3URE

If the ball bearing is gone, this would be grounds for RMA (I wouldn't attempt replacing the fan yourself as once you open the psu your warranty is voided I think).
If it's the coil whine, check with the company that made your psu. From my experience, they won't replace based on just coil whine, but it might depend on the manufacturer.

Sedivy

Estimable
Well that depends on if it's coil whine or ball bearing. If it's ball bearing, the sound is eventually going to get worse, and the fan will stop working at some point. That's not good obviously as you need cooling on your psu. If it's the fan, then you should RMA while you're within warranty. If it's coil whine, it's not great to hear but you can ignore it performance wise.

Sedivy

Estimable
If it is coil whine, you can ignore. If it is the fan, you better RMA. I don't know what it sounds like, you haven't submitted the sound.
If you're unsure, take it to a repair shop, let them tell you what it is.

Sedivy

Estimable
If it is coil whine, you can ignore. If it is the fan, you better RMA. I don't know what it sounds like, you haven't submitted the sound.
If you're unsure, take it to a repair shop, let them tell you what it is.

Stefanos_A

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I told the repair shop that this sound is very low freaquency and you can here a tzzz like buzzing noise if you put your ear next to the PC tower to the PSU.They said that the most likely is to be a coil whine and if anything different starts to happen to give RMA