Question Psu voltage and amperage

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
IklS7el.jpg

Can someone explain to me in detail what those things right there mean? (Or link me a website about it)

I have no idea about how psu's work and I'd like to know what should those numbers look like so they are compatible with specific cpus/gpus, what should they be like so the psu is gonna work fine for high overclocking etc

kanewolf

Titan
The PSU supplies multiple STANDARDIZED DC voltages (listed across the top of the table) to a computer. MOST of the time the only number you (as an end user) care about is the +12V number. The other voltages are generally used for powering the 24 pin plug and almost any PSU can handle those requirements. The +12V amperage (shown with the "A") and the wattage (shown with "W") help guide you for GPU and overclocking. But what that table DOES NOT show is the cabling that your Seasonic PSU has. That is as important as wattage. High overclocking motherboards have started having more than just an 8 pin supplemental CPU power plug. GPUs use 6 and/or 8 pin PCIe plugs. If this PSU only has 6 pin PCIe power plugs, you don't want to buy a GPU that REQUIRES an 8 pin because you will have to kludge the power. So wattage, connectivity and quality/reputation should go into a PSU choice.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
The PSU supplies multiple STANDARDIZED DC voltages (listed across the top of the table) to a computer. MOST of the time the only number you (as an end user) care about is the +12V number. The other voltages are generally used for powering the 24 pin plug and almost any PSU can handle those requirements. The +12V amperage (shown with the "A") and the wattage (shown with "W") help guide you for GPU and overclocking. But what that table DOES NOT show is the cabling that your Seasonic PSU has. That is as important as wattage. High overclocking motherboards have started having more than just an 8 pin supplemental CPU power plug. GPUs use 6 and/or 8 pin PCIe plugs. If this PSU only has 6 pin PCIe power plugs, you don't want to buy a GPU that REQUIRES an 8 pin because you will have to kludge the power. So wattage, connectivity and quality/reputation should go into a PSU choice.
So in my case my psu has 2 x 6+2 pin pci-e, one of which I'm using for the gpu and the other one I will plug into the CPU (i5 9600k) and it also has a 4+4 pin Atx/eps which I'm also plugging into the Cpu so I have 2 8 pins into the pcu right? Is it ok for oc-ing to 5 ghz on cpu and also gpu oc? (Rtx 2060l

kanewolf

Titan
So in my case my psu has 2 x 6+2 pin pci-e, one of which I'm using for the gpu and the other one I will plug into the CPU (i5 9600k) and it also has a 4+4 pin Atx/eps which I'm also plugging into the Cpu so I have 2 8 pins into the pcu right? Is it ok for oc-ing to 5 ghz on cpu and also gpu oc? (Rtx 2060l
What connections your motherboard requires is dependent on the motherboard. It will require the EPS 4+4. Anything else on the motherboard is specific to that motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS