1dude1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
alright so i just got over a problem where i was getting 9-10 volts instead of 12, and i just got my replacement psu and its telling me that i'm getting 12.480v. is this too high? because i can't boot into windows at all. i'm gonna start ubuntu right now and see if its just windows.

thanks all. i'm almost over my problems with this build, i can see the light at the end of the tunnel

1dude1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
ok now i just got into windows and the first thing i did was start speed fan, oh god not again, my voltage is at 10.05 for the 12 v
and i just checked my motherboard voltage and it sais its at 12.480. idk what to do about this. i'm totally confused. but i can't boot into windows with both my 4870 x2's in. god i just want to game already, its been months without this computer

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Don't really trust the motherboard reports. The only way to really tell the actual voltage is by using a multimeter. Even a relatively cheap one should reveal the truth.

Yeah not sure how many times we have to repeat this. STOP looking at speedfan OR your motherboard readings. NONE OF THAT WORKS.

Quote from the speedfan site:
Speedfan F.A.Q.
Some manufacturers chose not to follow datasheets. If this is your case, then you will read unusual values from SpeedFan. Since this custom circuitry is not known, SpeedFan does not try to "guess" it as any reading wouldn't be safe. If you get really odd voltage readings, simply enter configuration and uncheck the relevant ones.

Here is an article about motherboard vs multi-meter readings. It is almost 4 years old, and I assure you the discrepancy is now much worse:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reports/motherboardvoltages/3.html