[SOLVED] PSU Wattage Calculation

bhcrab2008

Commendable
Sep 10, 2018
Hello,

I have a PC build having following specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (powered from pci slot, no psu cable required)
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
HDD1: 2TB seagate 3.5"
HDD2: 500GB seagate 3.5"
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L (RGB1.0) CPU Liquid Cooler
Fans : 2 x 120mm

Currently Using PSU: Cooler Master Thunder 500W

From last few months, i faces sudden shutdown, showing error "CPU Over Voltage". I am from Delhi, India. And temprature is very warm and humid here. So my guess is fans are consuming more power for ideal temprature control, which causes sudden shutdowns.
If i am right then i have to replace my current PSU with higher one. If so could anybody suggest me right PSU for my rig.
If not then kindly sugget what cause these freqent shoutdowns.

Thanks in advance...

Solution
You have a max 125 watt processor and a max 75 watt graphics card. The rest of your system, even at full use won't draw that much power. You could safely run that system on a quality 400 watt power supply. If you're having stability issues, then I'd be keeping an eye on your CPU/System Temps. If they're getting too high, that is likely the issue. If not, then I'd be thinking the power supply is failing.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You have a max 125 watt processor and a max 75 watt graphics card. The rest of your system, even at full use won't draw that much power. You could safely run that system on a quality 400 watt power supply. If you're having stability issues, then I'd be keeping an eye on your CPU/System Temps. If they're getting too high, that is likely the issue. If not, then I'd be thinking the power supply is failing.

-Wolf sends

Solution

-Wolf sends
I'll endorse what wolf says.

CPU's tend to need more voltage the hotter they get. Since power is a squared function of [edit]voltage[/edit], your waste heat exponentially grows as voltage increases.

I would check to see what your cpu voltage is and load calibration line are like. I would then run a utility which allows you to track the cpu voltage. Run a few benchmarks and see what happens.

Another possibility is the psu caps, board caps or board voltage regs are going bad leading to line noise spikes which trigger a shutdown.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhcrab2008