[SOLVED] PSU Wattage for Gaming PC

punisher_09

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Hello, I have the following PC: i5 8400, MSI B360 Gaming Plus, 16GB of DDR4 (2x8GB), GTX1050 Ti Windforce OC, 4 case fans (3 of them powered at 5V and one from the MB 3 pin connector), CM Hyper 212 Evo, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 ODD, Deepcool Tesseract BF case.
I need a new power supply because the actual one is dying.
I will also get a new GPU (probably a GTX1660 Ti or RTX2060), and one or 2 more SSD's or HDD's. My current power supply is a Sirtec High Power 600W Bronze.
I have calculated using the online calculator that I need the following wattage for the PSU in the very worst case: https://outervision.com/b/j5fcMz

1. What power (W) does the power supply needs to be in order to supply the system + the new GPU (RTX2060) and 2 x SSD or HDD ?
  2. If 550W will be OK, then which do you recommend between Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 550W or Super Flower SF-550F14MT, 550W 80+ Silver ?
  3. Do you recommend 650W PSU ? It will be better ?

Solution
A good 550w PSU would be plenty for the RTX 2060. The Seasonic or Superflower would be fine as both are good units, can't comment on the silver unit without knowing the model.
650w isn't a bad idea if you think you may upgrade to higher powered components later.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power is power. As long as it meets capacity without overheating, it is good.

That said, there are certainly differing qualities in components and design. Seasonic and Superflower are pretty well known, though silver rating speaks to an older design, most manufacturer's switched to gold rating since the cost difference is minimal. Corsair RM, RMx, TX, HX also fine. EVGA B2/B3, G2/G3 also decent.

650W power supply will give you more headroom, which can result in quieter operation.

Though all those calculators are worst case scenarios. You will never see those numbers unless you are benchmarking the entire system simultaneously.

With a locked processor, I would say you are fine to go with a high quality 550W like you have selected, or bronze rated 750W supplies depending on local prices.

650W is a nice compromise that will help the PSU last longer. Lower temperatures, better lifespan. (Same with going up the quality tree, Platinum is more efficient, runs cooler, better design to achieve it in the first place)

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hello, I have the following PC: i5 8400, MSI B360 Gaming Plus, 16GB of DDR4 (2x8GB), GTX1050 Ti Windforce OC, 4 case fans (3 of them powered at 5V and one from the MB 3 pin connector), CM Hyper 212 Evo, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 ODD, Deepcool Tesseract BF case.
I need a new power supply because the actual one is dying.
I will also get a new GPU (probably a GTX1660 Ti or RTX2060), and one or 2 more SSD's or HDD's. My current power supply is a Sirtec High Power 600W Bronze.
I have calculated using the online calculator that I need the following wattage for the PSU in the very worst case: https://outervision.com/b/j5fcMz

1. What power (W) does the power supply needs to be in order to supply the system + the new GPU (RTX2060) and 2 x SSD or HDD ?
  2. If 550W will be OK, then which do you recommend between Seasonic Focus GX, 80+ Gold, 550W or Super Flower SF-550F14MT, 550W 80+ Silver ?
  3. Do you recommend 650W PSU ? It will be better ?

Just get a 850 or 900 watt power supply and call it a day. For the two cards you plan on buying, a 600 Watt PSU is chicken feed, especially for that RTX2060. Never settle for "enough", always get more than what these companies "recommend", especially for your purposes.

bignastyid

Titan
A good 550w PSU would be plenty for the RTX 2060. The Seasonic or Superflower would be fine as both are good units, can't comment on the silver unit without knowing the model.
650w isn't a bad idea if you think you may upgrade to higher powered components later.

Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

The possibility of upgrading to an even higher end GPU is reason enough to get more than he'll ever need. A 2080TI recommending a 650 watt PSU tells me that its really chicken feed. You have people coming back to this forum complaining about their games crashing clearly because of these low wattage power supplies they keep buying to power high end components. Playing a video game only makes these components go into top gear, so that's basically asking for trouble. The power supply is far too important to just fork over someones hard earned money for just "enough", based on someone else's guess.

bignastyid

Titan
The possibility of upgrading to an even higher end GPU is reason enough to get more than he'll ever need. A 2080TI recommending a 650 watt PSU tells me that its really chicken feed. You have people coming back to this forum complaining about their games crashing clearly because of these low wattage power supplies they keep buying to power high end components. Playing a video game only makes these components go into top gear, so that's basically asking for trouble. The power supply is far too important to just fork over someones hard earned money for just "enough", based on someone else's guess.
A good 550w psu with power a RTX 2060 just fine without crashing even under a full load.
Yes we do see alot of threads of games crashing but those are usually from low quality or way undersized psus. 550w is not close to inadequate for the OPs system with a RTX 2060. Telling someone they need a 850w psu for a system with an RTX 2060 and an i5 is just poor advice.

Just get a 850 or 900 watt power supply and call it a day. For the two cards you plan on buying, a 600 Watt PSU is chicken feed, especially for that RTX2060. Never settle for "enough", always get more than what these companies "recommend", especially for your purposes.
A 600w high quality psu is far more desirable than a 900w piece of junk. 600w is way more than needed, the RTX2060 takes less than 200w.

WYQtZJwtzxEk5AaDoDJ7kX-970-80.png

Yes people come here with issues due to power supplies but it’s usually due to poor quality or age of the unit. The ratings given by NVidia and AMD already have big headroom built in to cover the more mediocre psu’s.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
A 600w high quality psu is far more desirable than a 900w piece of junk. 600w is way more than needed, the RTX2060 takes less than 200w.

WYQtZJwtzxEk5AaDoDJ7kX-970-80.png

Yes people come here with issues due to power supplies but it’s usually due to poor quality or age of the unit. The ratings given by NVidia and AMD already have big headroom built in to cover the more mediocre psu’s.

So they claim, my experience gives me very little reason to trust them.

So they claim, my experience gives me very little reason to trust them.
So the reviews are falsifying their numbers and NVidia don’t know what it takes to run their own gpu’s?

My last gaming system had a 650w PSU running a GTX780 which was more power hungry than a 2060 and ran for 5+ years with zero issues. My current system is also running a 650w and a RTX2080 Super, again zero issues.