[SOLVED] PSU wattage is less than the power metre wattage reading of my system ?

DogNamedNibbles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2021
So my PC has been freezing from time to time and I'm sure it's due to the PSU. The total wattage of my PC reads 598W. I'm currently using a 550W PSU. The Wattage Metre is from EVGA Power Metre.

The main question I was wondering, is 48W difference enough to warrant upgrading my PSU, and can using a PSU that's below the wattage metre reading do damage to my PC?

My specs are,
EVGA GTX 1080Ti (OC to 2055MHz).
i5 9400f (usually running at 4.1GHz, 6 cores)
1x 2TB SATA3 HDD + 1x 500GB SATA3HDD
1x 500GB SATA3 SSD
2x 8GB DDR4 RAM

If needed, I have 8x fans running (800rpm - 1500rpm).

Other then that, can't think of anything else.

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry about that, someone removed all the specs I stated.
Thanks for listing your specs but you still need to list the model and age of your power supply.

A stock 1080 ti has a 250 watt TDP and overclocked can use over 300 watts and can spike for short periods to 400 watts. With the rest of your system power use on top of that I'd say you're cutting it too close with a 550 watt. A good quality 650-750W will give you the headroom you need and allow the PSU to run at 50-60% most of the time (or less), making its life much easier. In many cases I've found that a 750W is only a few dollars more than a 650W and may make more sense.

It's more common to have random system shutdowns when the PSU does not meet system demands but it's...
So my PC has been freezing from time to time and I'm sure it's due to the PSU. The total wattage of my PC reads 598W. I'm currently using a 550W PSU. The Wattage Metre is from EVGA Power Metre.

The main question I was wondering, is 48W difference enough to warrant upgrading my PSU, and can using a PSU that's below the wattage metre reading do damage to my PC?
List your complete system specs including the brand, exact model and age of the power supply.

Sorry about that, someone removed all the specs I stated.
Thanks for listing your specs but you still need to list the model and age of your power supply.

A stock 1080 ti has a 250 watt TDP and overclocked can use over 300 watts and can spike for short periods to 400 watts. With the rest of your system power use on top of that I'd say you're cutting it too close with a 550 watt. A good quality 650-750W will give you the headroom you need and allow the PSU to run at 50-60% most of the time (or less), making its life much easier. In many cases I've found that a 750W is only a few dollars more than a 650W and may make more sense.

It's more common to have random system shutdowns when the PSU does not meet system demands but it's possible freezes could occur although I'd suspect video driver issues before the PSU. In any case I think you should consider a more powerfull, high quality PSU.

Solution

DogNamedNibbles

Prominent
Mar 24, 2021

It's more common to have random system shutdowns when the PSU does not meet system demands but it's possible freezes could occur although I'd suspect video driver issues before the PSU. In any case I think you should consider a more powerfull, high quality PSU.
Cheers mate. I'm actually surprised my PC runs properly then, my GPU is running at max voltage, core clock, max target wattage, and max stable memory clock.