PSU weird click

tudorcardei

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I bought an new PSU, it's an Zalman ARX 80+ platinum 750W, i use it with 1050ti and R5 2600, first the PC didn't turn on, after pushing the cables in more it looks like it powers up but every time when I try to turn it on it works but it Makes an strange clicking noise , I just want to know If it ok that Clicking or If there are any problems

Solution

all PSU's are different so the best thing would be to call the manufacturer. Zalman is not a very popular brand when it comes to PSU's

since its a modular PSU i would try removing and reinstalling the cables again . make sure the ports are not loose. if all else fails then RMA it

I have an old corsair PSU that always had a clicking noice like a relay turning on and off inside it and it has worked for years so it could be normal

all PSU's are different so the best thing would be to call the manufacturer. Zalman is not a very popular brand when it comes to PSU's

Solution
Mar 22, 2019
Guys, I need some help here. I have same click noise issue with my brand new evga psu. Going by most of the forums where it was suggested to test the psu outside the case to rule out case grounding problem, I removed the mobo out of case and attached just the psu to it using mobo 24pin connector. I kept processor in slot but cpu cable is not attached, and I still hear the click noise when I power on the mobo.

Mar 22, 2019
Update - finally isolated it to a specific step - psu makes this click noise as soon as I insert the cpu into slot and latch it up. I am using Asus Maximus hero VIII mobo. So here is the quick recap:

1. Completely isolated mobo outside the case.
  2. Connect mobo 24 pin connector to mobo and then to psu
  3. Power on the psu, and then press start button on mobo. Nothing happens, asus q_code display doesn’t lit up, psu fan doesn’t spin.
  4. Power off psu.
  5. Insert bare cpu into mobo and latch it up, no cpu power cable attached, no cpu heatsink attached.
  6. Power on psu, then press mobo start button. I heard a brief click noise coming from inside of psu, mobo displays q_code 00 and psu fan also spins up.
I examined the processors pins on mobo, they look all fine. Cpu also doesn’t look damaged in anyway.

My question remains- is this psu click noise normal or not. Is my psu or mobo+cpu short circuiting or defective? I am concerned because I returned Corsair psu 850i as rma last week only when it suddenly died after 3years of use. I must admit one thing though- Corsair psu before dying had developed a strange bursting kind of noise whenever I used to plugin psu into mains.