PSU weird noise

Sir_Daevid

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
So, today I turned on my pc and the PSU started making this weird noise:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0uT0kwj4JCL

It's not that loud but is annoying and makes me very paranoid.
What is this? Can this be a threat for the other components by any chance?

PSU is a Thermaltake Berlin 630W 80+ ATX

bailojustin

Distinguished
It sounds like your PSU may be going bad, this is the time you need to replace it as it is not even rated on the PSU Teir List. I recommend getting one with a high rating that fits your needs. To answer your second question it can be a threat to other components as a faulty psu can cause Fire, Power surges ruining components plugged into it, smoking..
PSU Teir List for Refrence
from my experience the ticking sounds to be something coming in contact with the fan or a much more serious issue, which would be small voltages arcs make that sounds when grounding to nearby sources.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

galeener

Distinguished
So it does sound like fan or bearing issue and as this is a pretty poorly made PSu yes the fan could stop over heat the supply and die and take some of your system with it or it could just die. why take a chance. Here is the tier list from toms it is a good tool to consider.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
For a gamming system a tier 1 or 2 is recomended in the wattage range you need. For a base system you could get away with a tier 3 but I my self would stick with tier 1 or 2. A power supply is the heart of the system if it goes it can kill other things also. and cause a ton of headaches down the road.

Sir_Daevid

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Thank you for your quick answers guys. I will see if I can find a PSU I can afford.

Also I forgot to mention a thing, the noise it's there even when the pc is off, and even when the PSU switch is off.

bailojustin

Distinguished

This is with the PSU off and Plugged in correct? Sounds like a voltage jump in my opinion. Electrical ticks can be hard to diagnose.

Sir_Daevid

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

Yes, with PSU off but plugged in. Only way to stop it is to plug it off by now.

Can this be a rebuild of the Thermaltake Smart 630? Anyway, I know it is bad. My machine is a low/mid gaming pc since I can't afford bigger costs, didn't know it was THIS bad. It doesn't even have 2 years... so sad.

Sir_Daevid

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

I would replace it too but I can't, I'm short in money now.

Can you suggest a good price/quality low budget PSU?

Joben Tan

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Don't buy a new psu yet.If the psu isbworking fine and you are getting these problems,it is confirmly you psu fan faulty.Just get a 120mm or 140mm case fan depending on how big your psu is.Trust me.i have opened up many psu and most of them uses normal desktop case fans rebranded as theirs.And the fan uses the same connector as the motherboard 3 pin connector.it will save you a lot of money bro

Sir_Daevid

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

But how can be because of the fan if the noise is there even if the PSU is off?

Btw, today I' ve cleaned the pc and plugged off and on again all the cable. Now it seems the noise is gone. I'm stil warried though.

Sorry for my english

Joben Tan

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Even when its off there are still very little current flowing through the psu slowly.Sometimes even when my whole computer and psu is switched off,i can see the fans inside my computer twitching.
If its a faulty component i don't think what kind of components can make this kind of sound.But to check,just buy a voltmeter and test the current.its the easiest way to check psu

Sir_Daevid

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

Thank you very much.

Damn, didn't know this thing. From now on I will unplug the cable when I set it off.

I'm 100% sure it comes from the PSU, I can ear it clearly. Plus I' ve seen some videos on YT of PSUs making the same exact noise.

59108530.jpg

Don't be the people the Joker speaks of.

Sir_Daevid

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

I'm searching that around some shops to see in which cost less. Not sure if I can afford another one, maybe I should send this to repair or ask to the shop where I bought it if they can replace it. Maybe I should repair now and take another when I have the money, I don't know.

Ehe well this can be said for every component I guess. I don't think I am one of those people tho, I' ve made a lot of sacrifice to afford this machine, I always take good care, clean it every month and monitoring stuff.

bailojustin

Distinguished
I cannot stress this enough, I tell anyone I speak to about computers that the most crucial component in the system is your psu. Always replace a horrible psu. A bad psu is like driving a stone age car, bad pieces, it's worn out, it gets you to where you need to go but you pray it does not break down, catch fire, or anything you can think of on the way. You want to be driving a new reliable car. A bad psu will always hinder a system, it does not matter how good you might think it is I would always recommend buying one that is worth the money and has been tested and is good. This is the one piece in a pc if you just drop 150+ on a new psu then you know for the next few years you have that reliable piece in your computer, and you know it will be able to power future upgrades. 25% of the time people have an issue with their pc it's a psu, that is saying something. PURCHASE A GOOD PSU. You will not regret it, especially when your pc does not burn down or you have a surge and a bad psu destroys your 1,000 dollar setup. This is my opinion but also fact.