[SOLVED] PSU weird screeching,squealing sound

iannis1022

Commendable
Dec 8, 2021
Hi there, I owned this PSU for about five years now, worked in different computers over the years and just recently it starded making this wierd squealing, screeching sound.
If that was the only problem I would just ignore it but sometimes when the computer is under load, when playing games the pc just shuts off with no warning. It couldnt be anything related with trackable heat inside the computer, I had my cpu and gpu temp on the other monitor and it still crashed.
It seems like the noise gets loder when some imput goes into the computer, like moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard.
I've tracked the sound myself and it really seems to be from the PSU
I need to know if this is really a big problem and if I need to change it, thanks!

View: https://soundcloud.com/iannis1022/voice-002?si=863bcc4f16d645dd8cf5157f3feacca5&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Solution
The most likely result is a graceful death of a dying power supply with no harm to other stuff.

But that can't be guaranteed.

You get to decide how much risk you want to take.

If you have nothing of particular value on your hard drives, maybe you run it into the ground.

If you instead may lose your highly detailed plans for inter-galactic domination, maybe you replace it within the next hour. Unless your highly detailed plans have a backup or two.

iannis1022

Commendable
Dec 8, 2021
More specific: what's the brand and model?
Can't really tell much from the sound file.

Does the noise have a rotational component that might point to the fan?

Or is it strictly "electronic" in nature, with no seeming connection to a moving part?

I don't think that it might come from the fan, I've tried to get the dust out, I got out the whole of it but the sound is persistent. As I said , it gets louder and more annoying when I move the mouse , its very responsive , almost as responsive as the cursor. So I think is electronic, I just wanna know if it makes any harm, Im gonna replace it 100% as its very old but that will come in atleast a month. Can any other parts get harmed if I run the pc more with it in ? Thanks!

Regarding to the brand, I dont know,the sticker came off a long time ago as it is pretty old.

The most likely result is a graceful death of a dying power supply with no harm to other stuff.

But that can't be guaranteed.

You get to decide how much risk you want to take.

If you have nothing of particular value on your hard drives, maybe you run it into the ground.

If you instead may lose your highly detailed plans for inter-galactic domination, maybe you replace it within the next hour. Unless your highly detailed plans have a backup or two.

Solution

iannis1022

Commendable
Dec 8, 2021
Regarding the brand and model number, I've found it, it's a raidmax rx-520 520 watt atx12v power, it worked wonders in this computer for about 3 years, only recently experienced this crashes and unfortunately they seem to happen more often. For example as i went into a match of FIFA 22 it crashed after a few minutes. Just shut down instantly with no warning. Is there anything I can do to preserve some life out if it? Like turning down its usage at any expense of performance?

Raidmax......known average or worse quality.

Not much you can do.

It's a tool. If your screwdriver breaks, you buy another or live with the one you have.

I have NO idea if the PSU is defective. It may just be noisy and deteriorating gradually. Might last 10 years for all we know.

iannis1022

Commendable
Dec 8, 2021
Thank you guys for the help, i will try and replace it as soon as possible. In the meantime I've underclocked the cpu and gpu and it seems that the sound became much more quieter if not it even dissapeared.

Thank you guys for the help, i will try and replace it as soon as possible. In the meantime I've underclocked the cpu and gpu and it seems that the sound became much more quieter if not it even dissapeared.
Your Raidmax is a very old and very low quality PSU. Do not delay replacing it just because you found a way to minimize the noise. If it's on its way out, it could take your whole system with it when it goes.

This time around get a decent model that will protect your system instead of putting it at unnecessary risk. You've been lucky up to this point. If you need help choosing a new PSU just ask and be sure to include your location and budget. Cheers.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yikes, that PSU is scary even by the dangerously low standards that Raidmax has.

Unfortunately, this PSU has not been working wonders. Every moment it's been running, it's been sending dirty power and poorly regulated voltage to your components. You've been extremely lucky that nothing has failed spectacularly, but that doesn't mean that your parts haven't suffered damage that has shortened their lifespan, but not to degree that you can see anything with the naked eye.

Reactions: Fatblabs